• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax15 transmission troubles

pwt87mj

NAXJA Forum User
I just did peugeot to AX15 transmission swap with the internal slave cylinder and went out to run it and while the truck was in neutral the rear output shaft was moving. What could cause this, please help i have been doing this swap for more than 2 or 3 weeks now and i just want to drive my truck again.

What do you mean, I'm guessing you were running it before all the parts were in and just noticed the out put shaft of the tranny was turning? Or is it complete and you went to drive it? The tranny will have some drag in it so the shaft might spin a little. If you've ever ran a car with the wheels off the ground, some times in neutral the drive train will drag a little and spin the wheels but you can stop it with you hand or foot. I'm not saying try it but I'm just saying a little drag is normal, things move but when its all on the ground and put together everything works fine.

ya you do have a point i don't know why i didnt think of that, but i dont think the out put shaft should be moving when it is in nutral, i wonder if i put the drive line in it would move? The tranny also shifts fine in 1st and 2nd but difficult shifting into 3rd and doesnt want to shift into 4th or 5th at all and grinds trying to shift going into reverse, like its stuck in gear.

in neutral the rear output shaft was moving.
======================================
Yea a little drag with cold fluid first thing in the moring is common. No problem.
This drag may also be the shifting problem. IF tis was a two wheel drive I would say some gear boxs don't like to be shiffed with out the driveshaft being installed. It help keep things all lined up inside. But this is a 4 WD and the Tcase should take care of that.
Did you check for an air gap between the clutch plate and P plate?
Have someone fully depess the clutch from inside. Craw under and with a .30 gauge (or so) check by LIGHTLY prying the CP and PP apart. Gauge should side in the gap. OK with bigger gap.
Inorder to check for bad PP or warped FW rotate 90 and retest. Do this 4 times.
NO gap or VERY small at one or two point. Sorry you got bad parts in there.
VERY small or no gap at all the way around. Maybe a wrong parts for your setup. maybe bad master or save, air in system etc.

Last edited:
I didnt take out the clutch just replace the transmission, although the truck did like to move while the clutch was push in like it wasnt disengaging all the way with the other transmission.

Back