• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Main Seal Question

southernrebel20

NAXJA Forum User
My rear main seal is leaking and I'm thinking about replacing it this coming week since I have the whole week off. My question is is there anything else I should replace while I've got the pan off? It's a '99 XJ 4.0 with 147000 on the odometer. I was thinking replace the rear main and pan gasket (obviously) along with the oil pump while I'm in there. Anyone else have anything to add? Maybe the front seal, timing cover gasket? Also, what brand of gaskets have you guys gone with? Local parts store stuff or have ya'll ordered from places like summit racing?

Front seal, check timing chain ,gears and guide. and any thing up front .Also a good time to replace oil filter adaptor. and valve cover if it hasnt been done yet.

First off, make real sure it's the RMS leaking and that the oil leak isn't originating at the back of the valve cover, oil filter adapter, or oil sender.

This!

If you replace the oil pump, pick up a quality HV pump.

Back