• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Help!

Mr. Notorious

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, long story short I just purchased a 2000 XJ. Unfortunately 2 days after I bought it I lost the only key that was included in the vehicle, I know, totaly idiot here. I've been looking for it for a week and cannot find it anywhere. So I'd like to remove the ignition lock cylinder and have a key made for the pins that are in it so I can lock my doors instead of having to leave them unlocked or buy new lock cylinders too...

Here's what I did so far...
Went to dealer, had them cut a key per vin. Didn't work in doors or ignition. Tried lube, shaking the key, etc. Figured it was a bar cut since it didn't work in any of the 3 locks. I gently filed down all the sharp edges like it was a used key and no luck.

Got in touch with the previous owner, see if they had another key. No luck.

Looked up how to remove the lock cylinder, and the only way to do it is to have the key in the ON position. Well obviously that's impossible for me unless I hire someone to pick the lock...

I tried busting that tab you need to push when the key is in the ON position. Is that the only way now? It seemed like I was going to break the whole housing the lock sits in. I was banging on it pretty hard with a chisel and hammer.

Any help greatly appreciated before I just call the scrapyard! lol

Lock smith can come out and make a key at your place..Not cheap but it works..Plus he will make sure it works before he leaves..Then you can have a couple of keys made too

With your 2000, you have 2 separate problems. The first one is that your key won't turn in the locks. Either the dealer cut it wrong, or the locks were all changed. I would go back and tell them the key won't work and see if they can find anything they did wrong. Or even better, go to a different dealer and give them a try. A locksmith can also come out and file a key down to make it work in your locks. I was amazed when I had a locksmith come out and make me a key a few years back.

A key that the locksmith makes fit the locks still won't start your XJ. A chip in the key must be "coded" to work with your specific vehicle. It has an anti-theft system built in that won't let it start unless the chip in the key is set by a dealer.

Maybe the chip is set right by the dealer, but the lock pins have been changed so the key won't physically work. If so, you need the locksmith.

A chip in the key must be "coded" to work with your specific vehicle. It has an anti-theft system built in that won't let it start unless the chip in the key is set by a dealer.

You're thinking of the SKIM system, which may not be an issue as not all late-model XJs had it. If the original key had a grey fob, it had SKIM; if it had a black fob, it didn't.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer cut the key correctly, but used the wrong type of key. Happened to a friend of mine with a WJ a few years back.

Yeah I don't have the SKIM system, not chip in key. The original key was black and thinner than the normal gray chipped keys. I don't understand how the dealer could have cut the wrong key. I lucked out getting the key from the dealer anyways because the title wasn't in my name yet (just purchased it). I doubt I'll get that "lucky" again.

So the only way is a locksmith to sit there and file down a key to fit? Holy crap, what does that cost? Factor in NY weather being 10 degrees and it's stuck outside, I'm sure I'm looking at a $300 bill.

I think I'll try the screwdriver trick and see if I can jam it in far enough and break it to turn onto the ON position just so I slide out the whole cylinder and replace it...

What a headache. I'll either have a new cylinder and key by the new years, or it'll be in a scrap yard!

Before you lost your key it worked in all doors and the ignition correct?

Why not pull a door, or rear hatch Cyl, and take that to the locksmith. Gotta be cheaper than making him come to your place.

Back