• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Questions

JEEP_cannible

NAXJA Forum User
I was woundering if anyone has added a hotter coil,and where did you get it?My jeep is an 87 wagoneer,with the 4.0.I've been having some fire problems in the colder weather.

So called hotter coils (by themself) seldom help any problem.
I wood.
Check battery clean post clamps etc. Check ALT output too. . Make sure it's all up to the job.
Is it spinng up to speed? A bad starter will spin slowly and place heavy load on the battery. Sometimes reducing voltage to the firer makers.
The 87 has a dis right.
IF this is the OEM engine it's getting old. Look for shaft play in the dis. dis gear slop, timing chain slop. do a good tune up. HOLD a lose spark wire about an inches way from your belt buckle as you lean on car. Crank engine. ((((SORRY)))) ! Hold about an inches from a good ground. Crank engine. If you get a good consistant spark. Coil is most likely good to go.
She also has a carb right. Is the butterfly closing proplerly. Any vac leaks.
Run compression test you may just have a tired old engine that don't like the cold any more. Like me.
Luck

Last edited:
There is no coil upgrade for the Renix XJs due to the ICM/coil piggyback arrangement.

You can patch in something like an MSD 6--MSD actually makes a patch cable for the Renix--but I don't see a need for it.

Work over the electrical system first--battery, main cables, grounds. Get all of that in top-notch condition and then if there is still an issue we can test our way to the solution.

Good luck.

The stock coil is already pretty powerful, modern EFI systems (including Renix) come with very good coils already, an upgrade is virtually useless.

Thanks guys for all the help.I was woundering why no one was making a performance coil for these things.With all the people driving XJ's,and with Jeepspeed.I thought for sure it would be avalible.When I saw no listings for it.I knew something was up just not what.
Thanks again

91-99 you could wire in any performance coil you like--MSD Blaster, Accel, whatever, however as Goatman put it so eloquently there really is no need unless you had a high compression engine at high RPMs and trying to obtain max ignition. High compression and high RPMs do not go with 4.0s.

Back