• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering upgrade questions

spitfyre

NAXJA Forum User
k so ive searched about getting an upgraded draglink trackbar setup for my 99 xj, the girlfriend smoked a curb and now it pulls to the left and my steering wheel sits on a 45... ive got the 3" RC lift and im running 31's, i might upgrade to 33's so i want something solid. its my dd and i throw it around on some weekends, mostly just muddy fields and old trails
am i best off to order a kit or is it as simple as sourcing some rod ends and dom tubing and having some threads turned? (through work i can get machining done for a good price)
if i am to order a kit, whats my best option? the rockkrawler seems to be popular.
also, is a drop pitman arm recomended?
thanks and merry christmas!

Are you sure that the track bar/draglink are really bent? It may be that just she knocked the alignment out. If nothing is visibly bent I would reset the toe to 0 or 1/8 in and then adjust the draglink sleeve until the steering wheel is straight again. If you want all new stuff though you have several options. If you want change the draglink then you'll probably want to upgrade the tie rod as well. There many kits out there that you can buy (currie/rugged ridge) that are bolt-on requiring little or not modifications and use stock size TRE's or you could go HD with something that will take some work and use 1 ton TRE's and DOM rods like the kit I run from JCR it's moves the track bar mount over the axle and flips the TRE's to the top of the knuckles so all your steering components are up out of farms way and it's way stronger than stock. The last option and the one you may be the most interested in because of the possible cost savings is to find a kit you like and copy it yourself if you have the skills to do so. The bottom line is what you need and how you use your rig that will be the key factor in what option will be best for you but like I said in the beginning you may just need a wheel alignment and you'll be good to go.

JCR makes an OTK, as well as a UTK setup, the utk setup is very good once you learn to treat the spacer as a 1-year-lifetime disposable. if you work in a machine shop, you could easily copy the jcr setup, as it's modified oem chevy tie rod ends,

i run the jcr utk on my dd cherokee, 4~ lift, no drop pitman arm.

after taking a closer look under the jeep nothing is visibly bent, maybe i will start with an alignment...
the JCR kit requires the holes to be reamed for a bigger taper right?

I had issues with the spacer at first, well more specifically the dead spot at the top, on the JCR kit. I fixed it by tightening the over-center adjustment on the steering box now with the alignment set at 0 toe and the pinion angle set to 5* I don't even use the spacer anymore. Lots of guys still bent the TRE's and rods, including me, with the UTK setup I would recommend doing the whole OTK/OTA setup or nothing. If you want to have the stock type setup go with the Currie kit.

the OTK setup looks like the way to go, but itd be a bit more work considering it looks like id need to do up some new swaybar brackets, since the jeep spends more time on the road then off, and almost never sees rocks, i think the currie setup would probably be better for me

The Currie setup is the best aftermarket steering setup if you don't want to go over the knuckle. Good design, very stout parts, and it's bolt on, and because it's still inverted Y there's no dead spot to deal with like on an inverted T, like the JCR. The inverted T works fine if the drag link is pretty level, but with much angle at all it will have a dead spot due to twisting the tie rod. That JCR spacer limits it, but it's still a bandaid on a basically flawed design. The XJ just has too much drag link angle for inverted T steering. Also, the inverted Y like the Currie steering provides a touch more ground clearance than an under the knuckle inverted T.

The Currie system with the Goferit flip kit on the driverside is the sweet setup, it gives the steering a big increase in ground clearance and you can still use your stock parts as spares. I ran a similar setup for years until I went with the JCR OTK/OTA. I DD mine with no swaybars at all and it's fine, the difference is really minimal.

Back