• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yukon Shaft Dimension Problems

JackSpeed

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, New to the forum. I was hoping someone could help.

I recently bought my first Jeep- a 90 XJ. It has a non-disconect Dana 30 with small u-joints. I purchased some Yukon 4340 shafts to replace my now broken stock ones but the dimensions of the outer shafts are different.

Where the shaft seals to the unit bearing assembly a slinger is pressed onto the shaft. The slinger then rides on the seal in the back of the unit bearing assembly. The new Yukon shafts are .057" smaller where the slinger should be pressed on which means the slinger is not useable or functional in any way.

What I measured:
Stock Shaft- 2.798"
Yukon Shaft- 2.741"

Has anyone else used these shafts or encountered this problem with other shafts?

Although the bearings appear to be sealed I would expect that their life would be very short without a functional sealing surface on the back of the assembly.

Thanks for any input

Those are referred to as the dust slingers.

Lot of XJs running without them. Try searching "dust slingers", there has been some discussions pro/con on them before.

Back