• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad steering gear?

ktwalker01

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone this is for a 99 4.0l 231 ax15.
The other night when I was driving home I noticed my steering had gotten really tough and the ps pump would make the terrible grinding noise and was virtually useless. So I figured dead power steering pump. The following morning I pop the hood and sure enough there is some fluid under the car and splashed around the general area where the pump is.

I cannot pinpoint where and what is leaking, where the steering column inputs the steering gear box it looks to be a bit saturated. Also the pitman arm has a healthy amount of fluid on it as well. I had someone start the car and turn left to right and I couldn't find a leak anywhere and the reservoir still had a safe level of fluid in it.

When the rig is cold and I fire it up, the steering works perfect. After it warms up is when it starts to foul up.

Okay here are my questions.
1. Because of the horrible grinding sound from the pump when the system heats up and I turn the wheel should I assume the pump is bad.
2.What are the signs of a bad steering gear (my front end feels tight)

Also If i replace the pump I am going to replace all the lines as well.

Thanks
-Keith

Pull the belt and turn the PS pump pulley by hand--any roughness/gritty feel to it? Does the pulley wobble?

Clean up the area thoroughly, use Simple Green cut with water, about 50/50, let it soak 30 minutes and then hose it off. That should let you pinpoint the source of the leak.

Does the PS fluid appear foamy/aerated?

I took the cap off out of curiosity and it would have a few Bubbles moving around in it.

Few bubbles shouldn't be a problem, but when it gets foamed up the pump will have problems.

Did you check the level of the fluid? Did the steering get better after filling?

Go to the quarter wash and thoroughly clean the whole area from to and bottom. Then drive a short way and see if you can locate the leak.

Back