• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What the hell is this? GPS tracker?!?!

TheRedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
The past week here its been raining like crazy and my passenger floor is super wet so today I wanted to see if the water was coming through the floor or what. So I took up the carpet and I found a black box with a rechargeable battery attached and an antenna cable that ran up the side under the molding of the roof and taped in there. It only has a ground and 12v wire attached and wired under the dash. I took It out. kinda freaked me out. Ive had the XJ for about a year. The year is a 1993. What do you guys think?
SU1BRzAwNjQuanBn.jpg
SU1BRzAwMzcuanBn.jpg

See, even a paranoid personality is right sometimes!

Don't have a clue. Maybe a LoJack?

EDIT: Google of the FCC I.D. seems to indicate its LoJack.

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking LoJack also. So I called them and they said I have to fax them registration and ID and all this stuff and then they can tell me. Also if it is Lojack its $100 to have it reactivated which is lame. But who puts a LoJack in a car that's only worth about 3K?

EDIT: Google of the FCC I.D. seems to indicate its LoJack.

And if you really want to have a tinfoil hat moment: "The frequency 173.075 MHz is available for stolen vehicle recovery systems on a shared basis with the Federal Government. Stolen vehicle recovery systems are limited to recovering stolen vehicles and are not authorized for general purpose vehicle tracking or monitoring." (From http://www.freqofnature.com/index.php?m=Common&p=LoJack)

Suuuuure it's not used for tracking or monitoring, uh-huh :D

(That's definitely a LoJack unit, by the way; we've found a few in the junkyard. I'm surprised the PO didn't take it out of the vehicle, but, hey, consider it a bonus - if the cost of service is more than offset by insurance savings, I'd say have it activated.)

And if you really want to have a tinfoil hat moment: "The frequency 173.075 MHz is available for stolen vehicle recovery systems on a shared basis with the Federal Government. Stolen vehicle recovery systems are limited to recovering stolen vehicles and are not authorized for general purpose vehicle tracking or monitoring." (From http://www.freqofnature.com/index.php?m=Common&p=LoJack)

Suuuuure it's not used for tracking or monitoring, uh-huh :D

(That's definitely a LoJack unit, by the way; we've found a few in the junkyard. I'm surprised the PO didn't take it out of the vehicle, but, hey, consider it a bonus - if the cost of service is more than offset by insurance savings, I'd say have it activated.)

Yeah I was looking at the site and you can save like 30% or something on insurance with one installed.

That is in fact a LoJak unit... congrats! They usually cost a hell of a lot more than $100, hide it in a better spot, wire it up again and you're ready to rock and roll. If your XJ gets lifted and makes a break for Mexico they might have a better chance of finding it.

Don't tell anyone where you put it - but a few good places would be on top of the steering column under the dash, next to the TCU under the dash, under the seats, under the center console, in the rear quarterpanels under the plastic trim, etc etc etc.

Hook it back up and activate it! I would love to have one in all our Jeeps. The XJ is the most often stolen vehicle in some metropolitan area's, DC/NOVA is one of them.

how much is like the monthly fee? anyone know?

There is no monthly fee. You pay once to activate and that is it. If your car gets stolen, they activate it and track it for the police.

The past week here its been raining like crazy and my passenger floor is super wet so today I wanted to see if the water was coming through the floor or what. So I took up the carpet and I found a black box with a rechargeable battery attached and an antenna cable that ran up the side under the molding of the roof and taped in there. It only has a ground and 12v wire attached and wired under the dash. I took It out. kinda freaked me out. Ive had the XJ for about a year. The year is a 1993. What do you guys think?
SU1BRzAwNjQuanBn.jpg
SU1BRzAwMzcuanBn.jpg

Here is what I found on the FCC ID.
It is definitely a LoJack transmitter.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetEas731Report.do?applicationId=71494&fcc_id='IDILJU-02'

Last edited:
I hear car dealers are using them to track deadbeats that try and skip car payments now!

I'll give you $100 in its current condition.

old thread revival... i just pulled one of these out of a overhead console i recently purchased. I was confused thinking the government was watching the people i got the scrapped part off of... lol

Back