• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not Another Brake Thread...

NewToJeeps

NAXJA Forum User
2000 Classic
147k miles
ALL stock

I need someone with QUALITY brake components on their Jeeps to recommend a set of discs/pads that offer STOCK braking capability.

I'm not sure what's out there, and have no experience with brands.

Not looking for race applications or slotted etc, just something that will bring my truck back to normal braking characteristics and that will last.

TIA

My most recent purchase was the "Gold" series stuff from Advance Auto Parts... After breaking in the rotors and pads, my braking performance is the best it's been since I have owned the car (mine is a 2001).

Alternatively, go to the stealership and shell out the dough for true OE parts. Quadratec stocks OEM parts as well, and would likely save you some money.

I used Raybestos on my MJ. Quite happy with them.

The exact part numbers I used were RC10185, RC10186, and 2 780444R BUT these will not work for you, since you have an XJ built in 2000. 1999.5 and later XJs use a different unit bearing and brake rotor from 1999 and earlier. Go to RockAuto.com and select your vehicle year / engine etc and look under brake/wheel hub for the parts you need, Raybestos and a few other brands are all good quality. I got preloaded calipers for ease of use since I was replacing the calipers as well (converting an early 90s Comanche from 2WD to 4WD requires this) but you should be able to just get pads and rotors unless your calipers are in real rough shape.

Newer Jeeps use metalic pads. Don't go "Organic".

Make sure you assemble the rear correctly, and adjust them by HAND, not the stupid "backup and slam the brakes" method.

I just run the NAPA branded pad and shoes. The brakes out-stop the tires by a huge margin.

Back