• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Something to think about (Engine problems)

astonman

NAXJA Forum User
OK , so Ive had my Jeep since June 9th and there are a few things that I'm curious about. It is a 99' with the Stock 4.0 and a viper remote start system. First is when the gas gauge gets to the point where the light is on and I take a sharp left corner the engine dies.!.!? I always just thought it was due to being low on gas because thats when it always happens but in light of recent events I'm thinking different.

A few months ago I changed the battery and when I reinstalled the battery I was working under the hood and the car just tried to start itself( without the key in the ignition) a couple of times and afterwards wouldn't Idle right for about 20 min. then it started to get better.....and was fine. everything carried on hunky dory until 4 weeks ago when I changed the oil the oil pressure gauge stayed up at 80 without issue until today. When I went to go start my car this morning and my jeep wouldn't turn over and sounded similar to when it was trying to start itself. I drained the battery trying to start it and used my mustang to jump it. I jumped it once and it still wouldn't start so I disconnected the battery to try and reset the system and then jumped it again. When I Jumped it again it cranked for a min and then started. Once started it idled fine rev's fine and starts fine and now the oil pressure gauge is solid at 40 right where it should be??!!?.

I'm trying to get to the root of this problem whether it is the remote start, the oil system, the fuel system?

Any thoughts?

How low on gas are we talking?

You could take fuel pressure reading and voltage reading at the pump and compare to spec. make sure it operating properly. Also maybe a clogged"ish" in tank filter or sock.

For your other problems I would start by load testing your battery to make sure it is good. A week batt can wreak havoc with sensors, sending units, and gauges. I think autozone will do this is if you dont have access to a tester.

If you have access to a voltmeter you can take a voltage drop test across the starting and charging circuits.

While you at it see if you can get a physical oil pressure reading with a gauge. Those test will rule out or solve some of the issues you are describing.

Oh BTW if there is anyway of disabling the remote start plz do so and see if the symptoms reoccur

This is my second XJ the first was a 1994 model. Both XJ's would in theory run out of gas when the tank is about 1/8 and I take a hard right turn corner. When the XJ is level again it proceeds as if nothing at all is wrong. I think the fuel moves from under the fuel pickup which is right of center in the fuel tank.

The XJ trying to start on its own is a different matter. You may be experiencing the beginings of the end of your remote starting system. That may not be good for the battery, starter and the ignition system. Try to fix it or disable it.

The problems with the guages may be related to the the battery condition or maybe the oil sending is going South.

Not much help... But I know some of the vehicles we put batteries in at work, that have remote starts, have a sticker that say that the car might try in start when changing the battery. I would probably look into removing or disabling the alarm system.

First is when the gas gauge gets to the point where the light is on and I take a sharp left corner the engine dies.!.!?

I had this same problem and it was a dirty fuel filter. Had to drop the tank and replace the fuel filters (which were only sold with the fuel pump for $120).

when I changed the oil the oil pressure gauge stayed up at 80 without issue until today.

Sounds like it may be a bad sending unit. Check your grounds, if that don't work then replace the sending unit.

It is very common for the remote start systems to do that if a safety switch wasn't installed, like the hood pin that is either a mercury switch or the spring type. this could be also prevented by installing a switch under the dash and just turned off when needed. every car i did an install on had the sticker and that switch and the owner new of the switch location. my 94 does the same thing when low on gas and a hard turn. I know that is also a sign of needing a new pump or the screen replaced soon. I have almost 200k on my rig so im sure it will be a pump soon.

Seriously?

"Every time I nearly run out of gas and start sucking water, crud, and air from the bottom of my tank the engine doesn't like it."

Stop running the tank that low, or the next time you see some good Bosch fuel pumps on sale STOCK UP, you are going to be needing lots of them.

PS--join AAA.

Thanks for all the help. I Just wanted to be sure of what I thought was wrong. I'm having the remote start uninstalled and I got a few weeks off to do some work on the fuel system.

Thanks again

Back