• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Tank swap

Geo Fry

NAXJA Forum User
I need help from anyone that has swapped a 97+ fuel tank into a 96. I realize that the 96s have different wiring to the tank. Here's a few questions I have.

Im assuming you can just use the newer style sending unit, pump, and regulator. Since the 96 has 5 wires and the 00 has 4 wires, what wires go to what? I've looked at a few wiring diagrams and cant find anything out that matches the 96's oddball wiring.

Do you need to swap anything else in the process (injectors, fuel rail... etc)?

I realize the gauge probably wont work properly but can you get it to come close to working right?

Any problems that you can run into that I should know about?

Thanks

Why are you even trying to do this?Seems a direct-fit tank would be alot simpler-now and down the road!

Why are you even trying to do this?Seems a direct-fit tank would be alot simpler-now and down the road!

Well because I have a 96 with a leaking gas tank and a gas gauge float that doesn't work. And I have a totalled 2000 XJ sitting in my driveway that has a perfect gas tank, sending unit, pump.... etc.

I already have the parts. I just need to make it work. I'm pretty sure it's not too hard, I was just hoping someone on these boards with some wisdom could help me out!

I think Kastein has done this--shoot him a PM.

I think Kastein has done this--shoot him a PM.

BTW, the fuel gauges have different values, the 96 on will not read right with the 97+ sender.

Back