• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dropped nut in exhaust pipe

AJBob

NAXJA Forum User
2000 Jeep XJ, 4.0 ltr I-6, auto tran, 4X4

I was trying to wiggle the down pipe in line with exhaust header and a speed nut fell into the exhaust pipe. Anybody have ideas on how to get it out? Does it even have to come out?

maybe a strong magnet? You might even be able to use the magnet on t he outside of the pipe and work the nut back up to the opening you dropped it into.

I really wouldn't want that nut rattling around with the 02 sensors and the catalyst material.

It might rattle around, but its more then likely just going to drop down to the bottom of the cat out of normal air flow. I don't see an immediate Issue if your in a pinch.

1. -ShopVac! (Rubber hammer pipe while vaccuuming. ?)

2. -Rubber hammering pipe while a magnet -duct taped to plastic tubing, w/ 'collar' to sorta hold in center of pipe,- is inserted into pipe

Well, I wouldn't want a steel nut bouncing off the CAT's honeycomb.

Welded CAT or bolted in? If welded you are going to have to cut the pipe, pull the downpipe and dump it out.

Would be a good time to put one of these in: http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=FLEXPIPE-250x8

Cut a section out of the downpipe where it crosses from left to right before the CAT. The flex tube reduces stress on the exhaust header and reduces the chance of it cracking.

I have this tool, it is about 2 feet long and has a flexible neck, when you press the button on the back end with your thumb, a claw comes outta the front end. One other thing you could do is pop the exhaust pipe off the hanger and pull it out and hold it upside down and let the nut fall out then stick it back under and hook it back up, this is a pretty easy solution. Good Luck

simple fix if it does go in the head pipe doing that, roll the jeep back over again onto its tires, just ducttape over the exhaust pipe so you don't have to roll it back over AGAIN

Back