• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a/c core removal?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
My 89 hasnt had ac in a long while nor will it ever....Im in the process of fixing my heater blower motor and thinking about ditching the a/c core(since its dead weight anyway) and have a few questions.
First can this thing be ripped out relatively easier than a heater core job?Does alot of the dash have to come apart like when doing the heater core?Seems like a minimal amount of the lower hvac plastic would have to be removed to get the a/c core outta there???
Also will this make my heat perform better since the a/c core wouldnt be in the way?Doesnt the blower motor blow through the a/c core and then through the heater core?:huh:
All other a/c components have been removed along time ago this is the only thing left....

I took mine out when I installed a new heater core. You have to take the dash apart.

JIM.

First can this thing be ripped out relatively easier than a heater core job?Does alot of the dash have to come apart like when doing the heater core?Seems like a minimal amount of the lower hvac plastic would have to be removed to get the a/c core outta there???

Yes, you have to remove the dash again as ILLXJ said. The weight is minimal so I wouldn't bother if that the only reason why you want to yank it. Just cap the ports. and forget it.

Also will this make my heat perform better since the a/c core wouldnt be in the way?Doesnt the blower motor blow through the a/c core and then through the heater core?

In reverse order, yes, air always blows through the evap. The blend door then directs the flow through or around the heater core depending on the temp setting. Unless the evap is clogged with debris, I doubt removing it will improve your heater.

You can remove the blower and look inside with an inspection mirror to see if there's any junk in there.

Back