• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ - Should I buy Banks Header or replace with OE manifold?

First, I’m biased because I really don’t like BANKS. But, there doesn’t seem to be any other Header choices for the late model 4.0L. I could go back with the Mopar OE manifold, but I would prefer something with a little more performance. Does anyone else have thoughts or experience with Banks vs. Stock?

Edelbrock Ceramic Coated - $528

Gesh, I didn't know that Edelbrock made one for the XJ. Would I need a custom front pipe for that header? Hmmm, I need to do a search and see who's running that.

You would reuse the 2 precats.
But they are used if you have the cali emissions, which I have. Don't know how it works on xj with federal emissions

Mostly because of all the crying over cracked headers here, I would consider keeping the stock cast iron ones. They are a lot stronger. And I kind of doubt that super exhaust flow would really help on our low revving torque motors.

Mostly because of all the crying over cracked headers here, I would consider keeping the stock cast iron ones. They are a lot stronger. And I kind of doubt that super exhaust flow would really help on our low revving torque motors.

I was thinking the same, that's why I was looking at going back with the stock. I guess Banks has a redesign header with “lifetime guarantee”. That’s not a bad deal. I wonder how much a stock OE cast iron replacement manifold is?

Cast Iron? When did XJ's have cast iron!!!! they have always been tubes.

The v6, turbo diesel, and I4 maybe... but never a 4.0.

Cast Iron? When did XJ's have cast iron!!!! they have always been tubes.

I don't know, LOL......... I've been told that the 2000 and 2001 XJ's came with better cast iron manifolds, and that's why they don't crack as easy. What else is different about the 2000 and 2001 XJ's?

Last edited:
Anyone think of header wrapping their pre-cats? Placed so close to the oil pan and all....I've had good luck just wrapping the down pipe in keeping it a tad bit cooler in the cabin and making the exhaust note better.

~Back on Topic, sorry~

Late model XJs are a 2 piece manifold so cracking is not common. At least I've not heard of it being a problem.

LP d30, no dizzy, 2 piece ,manifold.

Does your XJ have the pre cats? If not, get the header and do a full exhaust for maximum performance. I guess on a 2000 or 2001 a duel exhaust from the header wont be to hard.

I have the pre cats so I just live with the stock exhaust.

came with better cast iron manifolds
===========================
The small poop ports and cast manifolds are to help heat all them cats (3) up within the new(ish) shorten warmup time.
But they do have very gentle bends and few of them. So they wood flow well for there small ID.
The 2 small cats are mounted highter then the oil pan. Should not thro to much heat into it.
But them two cats do put lots of heat under the hood. Along with the non return type of fuel system are given the blaim for the 00/01 vapor lock or whatever you call it problem.
Someone makes headers that will work with the 3 cat system.

My banks header is on my jeep because I got it for 250 new

I have had it for 4 years now with no problems

I would go with an APN header - same design for half the cost if I had to replace a header on the I6.

There are a lot of install threads on naxja and it seems that some of the APN's flanges need a little massaging to fit 100% - other than that replace your motor mounts at the same time and enjoy a few extra horses as well as a smoother idle and throatier toned exhaust... also look into adding a flex pipe somewhere on your down pipe to prevent any cracking of the header... fresh motor mounts will help prevent this issue as well

I don't know, LOL......... I've been told that the 2000 and 2001 XJ's came with better cast iron manifolds, and that's why they don't crack as easy. What else is different about the 2000 and 2001 XJ's?

I have had an 01 for over a year now and didn't know that... boy do I feel stupid. Haha

My friend has a banks on his xj and I've always been jealous. He had his exhaust run bad by a local shop and ended up needing 2 replacements but banks was cool about it. No flex pipe in his system... so as far as I am concerned its not banks' fault.

Can't say much for apn, except they are pretty popular here. Got to be a good reason.

As for me, I'm going to build a head for my 01 which will have the old style ports, then buy a header for it. More of a selection to choose from. You could do the same if you're ambitious.

Back