• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What shocks have you had luck with?

nrwphoto

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a new set of shocks for my XJ. I am not interested in another set of Monroe Sensa Tracs either. I have had poor luck with them in the past blowing out. In fact that is what is on the Jeep now. When I bought it a few years ago, I noticed that is still had factory shocks on it with 99,000mi. So even though it road alright I figured I would replace them to be on the safe side. Both rear shocks started leaking within 4mo. and the Monroe steering stabilizer which I replaced at the same time failed within 2mo.

So what other shocks does everyone like? Interested in Bilstein, but don't like the price at the same time.

Also does anyone know if stock length shocks will work with a 2" lift? My springs are sagging so need to replace, haven't quite decided yet on factory springs or 2" lift.

Thanks

I like my rancho rs5000 shocks, I got them when sears was doing a half price sale so I got them dirt cheap. I recently put on all new HD springs and it rides and handles great I think. I know they are no Bilstein but for the cost of 1 Bilstein I got all 4 and I'm not expecting my XJ to handle like my supra.

I just replaced my Old Man Emu Nitorchargers with some Bilstein 5150's. Absolutely loved the OME's!! They are valved for the Cherokee and won't fade like the Ranchos or the ProComps because of the nitrogen gas. I highly recommed the OME's. Mine lasted 7 years! (the 5150's are pretty sweet too.)

Looking for a new set of shocks for my XJ. I am not interested in another set of Monroe Sensa Tracs either. I have had poor luck with them in the past blowing out. In fact that is what is on the Jeep now. When I bought it a few years ago, I noticed that is still had factory shocks on it with 99,000mi. So even though it road alright I figured I would replace them to be on the safe side. Both rear shocks started leaking within 4mo. and the Monroe steering stabilizer which I replaced at the same time failed within 2mo.

So what other shocks does everyone like? Interested in Bilstein, but don't like the price at the same time.

Also does anyone know if stock length shocks will work with a 2" lift? My springs are sagging so need to replace, haven't quite decided yet on factory springs or 2" lift.

Thanks

Sounds as if sagging, worn springs might be causing premature failure of the shocks
... (especially when going off-road ... if one part of the suspension becomes worn or breaks can cause premature failure of another.)

a 2 inch lift requires a longer shock, some people have used shock extensions.

any lift will change the drive driveline angle and rotate the position of the rear axle.

I usually look at the springs first then decide on a shock ... if going off-road quite a bit i usually go with a shock designed for off-road ...

OME works well both on and off road are designed for their 1 - ~3 inch lift kits but also work with other lifts & springs.

Last edited:
So, you took the receipts and went to the Monroe dealer to get satisfaction, right?

a 2 inch lift requires a longer shock, some people have used shock extensions.
Bullshit, theres no need for a longer shock at 2" ran my last trail rig with 2" spacers and stock shocks worked well but did limit down travel a lil but wasnt anything extreme

with that being said i had a set of RE twin tubes they only lasted a season friend has had RE monotube on his for almost 2 years including 2 mild wheelin trips and the frt are already squeeking, i have had very good luck with the cheap blue monroes and have had friends whove had great luck with Bilstein

Based on your own observation, it would seem the OEM factory shocks win hands down.

Can I get an "Amen"? :rolleyes:

I love my OME springs, leafs, and shocks........... Rides like a caddy, LOL

I love my OME springs, leafs, and shocks........... Rides like a caddy, LOL

Honestly that is what kept me from going OME, I don't want my XJ to feel like a caddy lol. I want it to feel like a truck and feel for the lack of a better term heavy duty. Just personal opinion of course though.

Honestly that is what kept me from going OME, I don't want my XJ to feel like a caddy lol. I want it to feel like a truck and feel for the lack of a better term heavy duty. Just personal opinion of course though.

It’s true, OME is not really designed to be a “lift spring”. They are designed to be a performance spring, hence why OME does not make a tall spring. Instead, they make short springs with different spring rates depending on the application. Not only do OME springs ride nice, but they don’t sag like some other lift companies. I have the DPG 4” OME hybrid kit and love it. I even added the RE drop down brackets so it would ride like a caddy, LOL…….. My Jeep liberty also has the OME springs and shocks, and I love the ride.

It’s true, OME is not really designed to be a “lift spring”. They are designed to be a performance spring, hence why OME does not make a tall spring. Instead, they make short springs with different spring rates depending on the application. Not only do OME springs ride nice, but they don’t sag like some other lift companies. I have the DPG 4” OME hybrid kit and love it. I even added the RE drop down brackets so it would ride like a caddy, LOL…….. My Jeep liberty also has the OME springs and shocks, and I love the ride.

I started an argument on another forum a long time ago about OME being a suspension system not a lift kit, that the lift you gain is secondary benefit. The point is you are paying for the ride quality above all else, no one liked my comments ha.

I've also read a lot of people have issues with sagging, once they moved the manufacturing facility things seemed to go down hill. I've herd that has changed with the newer Dakar springs but who knows since they are new how can people know how/if they sag yet...

I started an argument on another forum a long time ago about OME being a suspension system not a lift kit, that the lift you gain is secondary benefit. The point is you are paying for the ride quality above all else, no one liked my comments ha.

I've also read a lot of people have issues with sagging, once they moved the manufacturing facility things seemed to go down hill. I've herd that has changed with the newer Dakar springs but who knows since they are new how can people know how/if they sag yet...

I think your correct ... perhaps that is the point, OME is more of a suspension system and not really designed as a more extreme off-road lift kit, I don't see very many off-road lift kits that that start at 1.5 inches with a maximum ~2.5 or ~3 inches ...

One reason some people get the OME kits are they can be a back saver, if you need to drive off-road daily, work in the field, etc. you may feel this later in life depending on how much you drive.

Jeeps OEM lift that came with some XJs is only 1 inch ... included better shocks and springs.

From what I learned ... after a certain lift height you may need to install different size shocks, driveline, SYE kit, springs, etc. .... , some change to a heavier duty transfer case .... installing the wrong size or wrong part can sometimes lead to premature failure ...

I think one can almost install anything on your vehicle ... whether it is going to work correctly, have longevity, low maintenance, good performance under certain types of driving and environmental conditions ... may be another matter.

Another thing i learned, may be true for most vehicle suspensions ... is under certain driving conditions any sort of suspension may not have longevity. I know one person who works in Alaska on the tundra said he was replacing / repairing his truck suspension about every ~6 month, sometimes less ... because of the road conditions and mileage.

Last edited:
iirc, arnt OME shocks made by Monroe?

I have a rough country lift on both my dads TJ and my sisters WJ. The 2,2 shocks are not bad at all for the money.

The 5150's on my Cherokee really get abused and hold up very well.

Well, it’s true, even OME brags about their “suspension” kit. The idea is that they fine tune their spring rates for your specific application. Many people who talk about OME springs sagging are typically people who are overloading their Jeep with too much weight. For example, OME makes Medium Duty Springs, Heavy Duty Springs, and CRD Springs for the Jeep Liberty. The Medium Duty Springs are for people who want lift, but do not plan to add the extra weight of bumpers, winches, and a ton of armor, etc. The Heavy Duty Springs are for those like me who have an ARB bumper, winch, rear bumper, and armor (rock rails, all 4 skids, etc). Lastly, the CRD coils are for those who have the Jeep Liberty diesel, because the weight of the diesel engine is more than the gasoline engine. But I see people who buy the Medium Duty Springs (because they are cheaper) and later decide they want to add bumpers, winches, rock rails, roof racks, etc. Those are the people who complain that they spent a lot of money on OME and their springs are sagging. LOL. There’s a lot of lift kits out there for the Jeep Liberty, and hands down, OME is the best for not sagging if you buy for the correct spring rate for your application.

Here's my DPG 4" OME Hybrid Kit

33846874015_large.jpg

Here's my 3" OME Frankenlift on the KJ

31489300020_large.jpg

Back