• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sd33 nissan diesel in a 95 cherokee???

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone ran a nissan sd33 diesel in their cherokee? Im looking for any info on this swap if it has been done.

i have access to a SD 33 and have been thinking about doing a diesel swap for some time

no idea what transmission? im trying to figure out what type of set up it would take to make this work.

I know theres cj10s that came with the engines

the engine I would be using came out of a boat

no idea what transmission? im trying to figure out what type of set up it would take to make this work.

I know theres cj10s that came with the engines

the engine I would be using came out of a boat

So skip the transmission and go with a stern drive. :anon:

has anyone ran a nissan sd33 diesel in their cherokee? Im looking for any info on this swap if it has been done.

Translation: "I have a pipe dream and need to find something constructive to do with my time."

i have access to a SD 33 and have been thinking about doing a diesel swap for some time

"If I haven't done it now, I'll never get around to it...and even if I tried, I lack the knowledge necessary to complete the project. So, in the meantime I'll ask a question about something unique to make myself look clever. And by access, I mean that I saw an ad for a diesel engine on Craigslist once."

:anon:

Translation: "I have a pipe dream and need to find something constructive to do with my time."

"If I haven't done it now, I'll never get around to it...and even if I tried, I lack the knowledge necessary to complete the project. So, in the meantime I'll ask a question about something unique to make myself look clever. And by access, I mean that I saw an ad for a diesel engine on Craigslist once."

:anon:

ya your right..I just saw the engine sitting in my works yard, got me thinking..

I think EcoMike may have been running a Nissan diesel in his. I don't think he comes around much anymore though.

I think EcoMike may have been running a Nissan diesel in his. I don't think he comes around much anymore though.

IIRC, he was using the SD22 from a 720-series pickup; it's basically the SD33 minus two cylinders. Not sure if an SD33 would fit in an XJ's engine compartment (it's been a long time since I've seen an SD33), but a 4BT would probably be an all-around better choice.

another option... dont put the engine in the cherokee, put the cherokee on the boat. :anon:

on-a-boat.jpg

A friend put one of those in his CJ7. He was very disappointed in the power. He said it had zero top-end power.

The big problem with the 4bt is the height of the engine - they guy with the Comanche is running like 8" of lift to clear the oil pan.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the time swapping a SD-33 into an XJ. I owned two different CJ-10a tugs (one of which I converted to 4WD, extended wheelbase, etc.). The engines are pretty gutless. Just my $0.02.

Craig

Here's one of the tugs I owned:
bed_painted_2.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't spend the time swapping a SD-33 into an XJ. I owned two different CJ-10a tugs (one of which I converted to 4WD, extended wheelbase, etc.). The engines are pretty gutless. Just my $0.02.

FWIW (and this is a 17-year-old memory here), I had an '82-ish Nissan Patrol SWB (MQ Series) with what I seem to recall was the SD33 in it. Only had it for three weeks before I found out how terminal the rust was and got rid of it, but it was not what you'd describe as a powerhouse. Low-end grunt in low range was OK, but it couldn't pull the skin off of a rice pudding in normal driving.

Honestly (and I say this knowing that I recommended the 4BT earlier in this thread), I'd be looking at newer-technology diesels for a swap. Yeah, the choices in that department are kind of limited in North America, but having grown up driving '70s- and '80s-era diesels I wouldn't want to have to live with one again on a regular basis if I could possibly avoid it.

I can't figure this site out. I wan't to find out if anyone out there has a good sd33 they would sell and how much they would want. It was used in an excavator and I need to replace what I have. can anyone help and let me know how to post a want to buy add.

This is a Jeep Cherokee and Comanche enthusiast site. You likely found us with a Google search, right? This was a thread asking how to install an SD33 into a Cherokee. If you're looking to buy the engine...this may not be the best place. :)

Back