• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

You may find this interesting

Waterhammer

NAXJA Forum User
Had some front end issues recently and discovered it was an upper ball joint on the drivers side. That normally wouldn't be an issue except that I just replaced all four ball joints not 500 mi ago. I spent a decent chunk of change on moog ball joints from car quest. I did some searching here and found some people have had a similar problem with moog. When I took the front end apart I found not only the upper but BOTH lowers were bad (all had been changed at the same time). Good thing I bought all four again, rather than only buying the uppers. I got a deal on all four off of ebay, and got spicer this time. Put everything back together, greased and out for a test ride. Damn, what a difference. The spicer joints are way tighter. This was just my experience, as always, going to be different for others. I will be hard pressed to buy moog again.

Thanks for the post. Where’s the best place to buy the upper and lower spicers?

I prefer the Spicer's as well, the set that is on my trail rig are just as tight today as they were a year ago when I put them in....on 35's....and I'm not easy on it.

The guy I bought from was Just Differentials on ebay. I did a search for spicer ball joints to find them. It was about 84.00 for all four, all NIB.

$84.00 for all 4? Gesh, I’m use to paying that much just for one ball joint on my Dodge diesel truck. That's cheap!

-just wondering-

Could this be a big part of the problem, so many have had, with DW shakey front ends ?

-

I've got a couple friends who have had problems with Moog quality also... I only use spicer (or on my DD, TRW if I'm short on money) from justdifferentials or alljeep.

Did Moog go to China or somthing? At one time Moog was as good a part as any for the price. Well another one bits the dust!

-just wondering-

Could this be a big part of the problem, so many have had, with DW shakey front ends ?

-

Possibly. Thats why I posted it up. I went through two sets but just attributed the early failure to wheeling. This last time I only had a couple hundred miles on a new set when I realized I had a lot of slop. I've got about 1000mi on the spicers and they're noticeably tighter...
Maybe moog did go china, too bad. I'll prob stay away from their tre's too.

I worked in a garage as an alignment mechanic 25 years ago. I had problem with MOOG ball joints back then. Sometimes you would get tight ones, other times they were worst than what I took off. After a while we just ask for any other brand of front end parts. They were junk on all models of cars.

Back