• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydraulic assist questions

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
What is required to run a hydraulic assist setup like psc on an xj ? Is it even recommended on a d30? I have the Iron rock steering kit, seems plenty beefy
shopnight8.jpg

what you all think?

i run a surplus center hydro setup with all stock parts (except on dana 44 with beefed up steering). all i did was tap my stock steering box and get a 4.5" psc power steering pump pulley and she turns like a champ. $200 total into it and it works flawlessly

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

Thankyou sir, you have any pics of how you mounted it? link /tab wise? what did you use for bolts. Thanks!! I think my ruffstuff cover be plenty strong

i bought some tabs from balistic fab and fab'd up a mount onto my SOLID diff cover. was actually not to hard to do.

here is the whole kit i bought for $150 (minus the pulley)
IMG_0213.jpg

here are the tabs i bought from ballistic
IMG_0216.jpg

my stock steering box tapped with fittings
IMG_0215.jpg

the power steering cooler for the pump (stock ford explorer tranny cooler)
IMG_0217.jpg

best picture i have of the mount on the axle side
IMG_0224.jpg

and the tie rod side. the tie rod is 1.5"x1/4" DOM
IMG_0226.jpg

let me know if you need more pics and i might be able to take a couple when i have some spare time

Thanksa for all the info, That particular ram is hard for me to get, I dont know why. I've been thinking of trying this kit here http://www.trailgear.ca/default.cfm?fa=products&ProdCategoryID=175

2" x 8" ram. I may have to make my own tabs or get some for the diff cover side. My girlfriend can make me new hoses or shorten them if they are too long/short. The kit is designed for a toyota with a dana front axle swap so I'm thinkin it will be close. Trail gear said I will likely have to limit the piston travel a bit.

i thought about that kit too but the surplus kit is cheaper (i posted my parts list on the other thread). i also heard that the trailgear kit doesnt last long and likes to leak

What year is yours? My pulley is 5.5" or lil bigger, did you try the stock pulley first? Did the smaller pulley require a shorter belt?And I already have a large cooler, would you run in inline filter as well? Thanks! Just trying to get my ducks in a row! I appreciate the info!

What year is yours? My pulley is 5.5" or lil bigger, did you try the stock pulley first? Did the smaller pulley require a shorter belt?And I already have a large cooler, would you run in inline filter as well? Thanks! Just trying to get my ducks in a row! I appreciate the info!

X2 ! thanks ! :D

i an running a red neck ram set up on hp 30 works alsome. some might not like it but i mounted on end of the ram in the stock steering dampener bracket a welded tabs the tie rod works well for me. didn't have to screw around limiting the travel of the ram.

mine is a 98 and i had the same 5.5" stock pulley. i tried the assist with that pulley and i couldnt turn under 1500 rpms. the smaller pulley made the pump work faster so i can now turn easily at an idle. yes i did need a shorter belt. i believe it was just the next size down from the stock belt. i didnt run a filter just ran the cooler into the return line

Back