• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Think I broke a hub....

austinaubinoe

NAXJA Forum User
So I have WARN premium locking hubs. Today it snowed about 3" so I took the jeep out. First hill I realized the hubs were open. I locked the passenger Hub but the driver side was jammed. Then a car came up behind me and I had to move my jeep to the side.

I heard some weird noises, but I was fairly certain it was the Lock Right making the noise. Anyways it seems like I only have 3WD when both hubs are in the lock position.

Should I just take the hub off and inspect it? What are the signs of a broken hub, besides a wheel not getting power?

Take it off and inspect it. There's only a few pieces: the dial, a spring, and the lockout itself.

It's only 6 little bolts and two snap rings.

Take pics.

WARN premium locking hubs have a life time warranty. If it is damaged you can take it back to where you bought it for a replacement. If they give you a bad time call Warn.
The D30 premium hub is a special hub and may not be stocked at your local dealer. It’s the same hub they used on their rear full floater kit.

It takes a lot to break them, and you would usually know it. I think it is more likely it is just not engaging for one reason or another. But as soon as you get the 6 bolts out and pull, you'll find out which it is:farmer:

It takes a lot to break them, and you would usually know it.

Yes it does and they usually end up looking something like this...
standard.jpg

More often than not though they end up being half locked(dial not in full "locked" position) and it strips out half of all the locking splines. This has happened to me several times becuase of rubbing the lockouts on rocks and the dial being spun out of the locked position.

I have done this twice in the last week. I don't care about the lifetime warranty, doesn't do a thing for me when I am broke down miles from town. I am going back to some old school Spicers, no cheap cast aluminum garbage in them.
blownhub.jpg

WARN premium locking hubs have a life time warranty. If it is damaged you can take it back to where you bought it for a replacement. If they give you a bad time call Warn.
The D30 premium hub is a special hub and may not be stocked at your local dealer. It’s the same hub they used on their rear full floater kit.

I have a HP 60 front :laugh3:

Anyways, I am not the original owner. Does the warranty transfer over?

I doubt it is broken, probably just WARN out! Should the hubs be serviced on a regular basis? I just watched a video with a hub breaking on a hill climb.... it bad a pretty large sound.

But to be clear, a hub could be in the "lock" position and still fail to engage... yet not be completely busted?

Thanks! I will post pics of it opened up if you like.

ok so I opened it up. Alot of dirt fell out of where I can only guess grease used to be.

It seems there is some type of clutch pack pressed into the cap. you can see it is now in 2 pieces.

another thing I noticed is there is one tiny screw on the hub body that prevents that gear thing from being taken out.

Is there some type of rebuild kit for these? Im guessing the seal on the cap should be changed as well. can I just use any grease? I have some of the HD red or green Lucas grease in my gun at the moment.

Thanks.

Pictures:
d162f8b0.jpg

675fae48.jpg

holy bageezis. did you get that D60 from the cargo hold of the Titanic? i'm thinking its time to completely rebuild both sides if it looks that bad. bearings/races are probably wasted.

cleaned it out with parts cleaner. removed tiny screw pulled out gear, more dirt behind gear.

There is a spring behind that gear and it was very rusted. So that will probably need to be replaced. I am guessing that this spring being in poor shape is the reason that it is hard to turn the hub to lock.

to get to the wheel bearing I would need to take the wheel off, and remove the entire hub, right? Im pretty new to working on 1 ton axles.

Sure am happy its just a matter of an un maintained hub. These WARN hubs feel and look very heavy duty.

holy bageezis. did you get that D60 from the cargo hold of the Titanic? i'm thinking its time to completely rebuild both sides if it looks that bad. bearings/races are probably wasted.

well I havent noticed anything until it would not lock into 4x4. I drive this on the highway all the time.

But my front axle seals have been weeping a bit, and the front lock rite seems like its pretty worn out. I think in the spring im gonna pull the axle, get an ARB to match the rear, replace all the seals and bearing, and replace some of the joints on the long arm.

oh and there was no rust, they cleaned up pretty nice. Just seems that the rear spring thing, and the front clutch like things are worn, and the seal seems pretty dry.

to get to the wheel bearing I would need to take the wheel off, and remove the entire hub, right? Im pretty new to working on 1 ton axles.
I'm with Jes on this one. Pull the hub and re-pack the bearings or in the spring you could be looking at replacing the spindles as well. It should only take you an hour to pull the wheel hubs and inspect the bearings and re-grease them (40min first time on the first side, 20min for the second side) if you already have the locking hubs off. Be sure to inspect the bearings, races, and the spindle to make sure there isn't already some damage.
Those pictures seem to indicate otherwise!
Exactly. I'm willing to bet with dirt behind the slug those wheel bearings are pretty nasty.

Last edited:
He just needs to drop those LTB's and rims off at my door. I'll fix his axle for him if he does that :D

There actually SSR's :D

Ok so I found this write up:

http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/tech/Mods/Jeep/DANA44 Hub/dana44_hub_rebuild.htm

Its for a wagoneer front 44, but it kinda looks the same as mine. Just got back from the parts store and I picked up some hi temp bearing grease.

I swear that is not rust, thats all dirt dirt and a bit of PB blaster to loosen up the hub engaging mechanism.

There is a coiled piece of metel you can see in the picture that fits on the back of the hub cap. It seems to become 2 coils of metal. Should this part be replaced? It seems to just be a spacer of some sort.

Still looking for a rebuild kit. oh and what are the signs of a bad bearing. If its real dirty, can I just repack it? Im thinking if they are cheap enough I might as well replace it.

Thanks learning alot from the advice!

Oh and I just passed 1,000 post :geek:

http://www.gowarn.com/prodDetail.aspx?partNo=WAR11714

Searched a bit, I guess this is what I need. Do you think that $25 is a good price on this kit? Is this for both hubs or one?

-Thanks

TRS sells a warn kit for about the same price, but it includes 12 bolts, etc... so for both hubs. The kit from gowarn seems to be just for one hub.. at the same cost.

OK another edit: Amazon has a banging deal on what I am pretty sure is rebuild kit for both hubs. http://www.amazon.com/Warn-11714-Standard-Premium-Service/dp/B000CQBK9W
i HATE how sites never actually say FOR BOTH sides..... alot of time you just have to guess from the picture.

Last edited:
From the pics it looks like those service kits are for both sides.

Yeah I think so too. I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon. Ill post up some more pictures of the rebuild.

Back