• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

to high flow or not

scott00tj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm told (reputable repair shop) that my water pump is only flowing about 80% right now. If I choose to replace the pump (when it fails or gets worse) should I try and find an OE or a high flow? Would I gain anything with a high flowing pump for a basically stock Cherokee?

Last edited:
I'm told (reputable repair shop) that my water pump is only flowing about 80% right now. If I choose to replace the pump (when it fails or gets worse) should I try and find an OE or a high flow? Would I gain anything with a high flowing pump for a basically stock Cherokee?

For a stock vehicle that isn't crawling or idling all day, there likely isn't much advantage (if any) to a high-flow pump. Stick with OEM if that's not a huge part of your usage.

For a stock vehicle that isn't crawling or idling all day, there likely isn't much advantage (if any) to a high-flow pump. Stick with OEM if that's not a huge part of your usage.

The most I can see my XJ doing is maybe towing lawn equipment on a trailer once in a blue moon. Maybe with a mild lift and 31s-33s. I'll be honest, its mostly a mall crawler and my DD.

Stay with OEM. How did they come up with the number 80%?

I'm told..... famous last words..... That they were running a flow test of the entire system. Once they numbers were in they were able to compare those against what I'm guessing they "should" be.

The most I can see my XJ doing is maybe towing lawn equipment on a trailer once in a blue moon. Maybe with a mild lift and 31s-33s. I'll be honest, its mostly a mall crawler and my DD.

You'll be fine with the OEM one. I semi-regularly tow a car with my XJ on 31s, and the stock pump (assuming the rest of the cooling system is up to snuff) should be able to cope just fine. I'd still recommend the 3-row radiator and upgraded fan clutch, but for what you're talking about towing those can probably be upgraded as they require replacement in the normal course of things. If you've got the AW4, though, an auxiliary transmission cooler may not be a bad idea.

Last edited:
Stick with a NEW quality OEM style WP, never use a reman WP.

Stay with OEM. How did they come up with the number 80%?

Some sort of flow meter--Miller Specialty Tools makes/made them for Chrysler.

I just replaced mine 2 nights ago. After much research, OEM style "new" pump was recommended for all but rockcrawling type stuff. I found many warnings about the "remanufactured" pumps. The "new" one from Napa with a lifetime warranty was only $10-15 more than the reman ones.

My bearing was on its way out, but my temp used to fluctuate between 200-215, and now it is dead-on at 195.

If you decide to do it yourself, it is fairly easy if you remove the fans (4 bolts). It took me 2 hours and I was taking my time and that was pulling into the garage to test drive. I also put on upper and lower radiator hoses, new thermostat, idler pulley and fan clutch in that 2 hours. The only tools I needed was a 13mm/8mm/15 mm socket and wrench, plus a pliers All parts totaled $160, including the pre-mixed anti-freeze, because I"m lazy.

Back