• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which gears?

Spaz_Soldier

NAXJA Forum User
I got an '01, 4.0L, D30, C8.25. I'm running 35"s on the stock 3.55 gears and I'm looking to regear soon. I drive five hours down and five back to my Army unit every month, with speed limits up to 70mph. What would be the best gearing for me to get good performance and still be able to get up to higher speeds and best gas mileage? Thanks in advance, everyone.

I got an '01, 4.0L, D30, C8.25. I'm running 35"s on the stock 3.55 gears and I'm looking to regear soon. I drive five hours down and five back to my Army unit every month, with speed limits up to 70mph. What would be the best gearing for me to get good performance and still be able to get up to higher speeds and best gas mileage? Thanks in advance, everyone.

..aw4?...

"stock" 3.55s i would assume you have the AW4.

ditch the LP30 that is factory in 01' first. you can use your unit bearing, and shafts as spares on a HP30. then regear to 4.88s. a lot will argue that 4.56 is sufficient. id say go as deep as you can, you will like it on the trail and highway driving may not be as "ideal" as 4.56s but itll be a hell of a lot better than 3.55s.

4.56 would give you higher freeway speeds but most people run 4.88 with 35s. I have 4.56 cause I had 33s before and its about at stock gearing. Which isn't bad, I dd mine.

From what little I've found on this, it seems the 4.88s would put me at over 3000rpms to get to highway speed. Am I wrong about that? What I've heard from some people is that 4.10s would be good for me. Would that be better on the highway than 4.56s or not?

From what little I've found on this, it seems the 4.88s would put me at over 3000rpms to get to highway speed. Am I wrong about that? What I've heard from some people is that 4.10s would be good for me. Would that be better on the highway than 4.56s or not?
just do 4.88's dont be afraid to let the 4.0 sing a little it will live at 3k all day long
I have read 4:56s and 35s is better on milage compared to 4:88s
cant belive everything you read on the interwebs your looking at a 1mpg diffrence if that

I've run 4.10 and 4.88 on 33's. While the 4.88's sing on the highway, I can still go 70 easily. The 4.10 were better on mileage, but the jeep was downshifting for evey overpass, and hunting for gears in a headwind or on any uphill slope leading me to just leave the transmission in 3rd, and that was at sea level. I would never purposely go to 4.10 with 35"tires behind a 4.0 and aw4, and now that I see 4.88 isn't that bad on 33's I wouldn't hesitate to run it on 35's.

Back