• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting tank

bdahlg

NAXJA Forum User
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...E-Performance-Tools_9014780-P_N3185_A|GRP2068

I want to mount this vertically in my cargo area where my spare tire would be for my OBA. I can't for the life of me find anything that will fit this tank. I would fab something up, but I don't have a welder... lookiing for some kind of bracket that I can bolt to the sheet metal.

Getting VERY annoying as it is sloshing all around back there

Bungy cord it to the lower and upper tire mount.

Bolt it in place, you don't want it to become a missile. Here's how I mounted my Viair tank, smaller than yours but you might be able to do something similar. I just used a piece of 1/8" T x 2" W steel strap and bolted it between the tank feet, then bolted that to the spare tire rest.
100_1936.jpg

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&page=6

I was thinking about mounting it laying horizontal like you Vaiar tank, but I believe mine's too big to fit on the spare tire seat, and due to the fact that this New england weather has rusted out the two bolts that go through the floor.

This is why I want to mount in that same spot just vertical, maybe even make it removable, haven't really decided yet. I need to have it bolted, a bungee cord I could have though of, just doesn't seem smart.

Would prefer to have a mount like a scuba tank has. If you have pics of your fabbed set up, send it on over! just looking for some ideas

Oh and that setup that XJEEPER has isnt possible because my tank only has one set of legs on one side.

how about making a bracket that easily bolts to your jeep, then secure the tank to the bracket using large (plenum?) hose clamps. Sounds like a good no-weld solution.

Sorry, but most people that want a no-hassle solution are willing to pay the no-hassle price.

how about making a bracket that easily bolts to your jeep, then secure the tank to the bracket using large (plenum?) hose clamps. Sounds like a good no-weld solution.

Sorry, but most people that want a no-hassle solution are willing to pay the no-hassle price.

Uh I never said no-hassle; it's never no-hassle with my jeep. I was just wondering if anyone had used a bracket that was already made for that style tank as there are many brands of the same size.

The route I was going to go before I started this thread was make my own by bolting it, but I've seen way too many threads where ppl used mounting brackets. But, I am very flexible in the way I mount it, i.e. I don't really care if its removable.

Do you guys think the pastic interior panels in the cargo area are strong enough to mount it straight to it? Anyone have any pics of their set up?

Thanks

The tank has a 30" circumference and is like 9" tall, just for reference

I created a mount for my hi-lift using the rear seatbelt anchor points. I'm running metal straps from the torx bolts to the cargo area, under the rear seat. The strap was bent into an 'S' shape following the contour of the body. Tools required included a rock (anvil), a BFH, and a hand drill.

1846412261_1d30a4ea20.jpg

P.S. I know my hi-lift is a funky color. It's over 30 years old and I've repainted it since this pic.

Why would I buy a co2 tank when I already have a fully-functioning OBA with the 5 gallon tank? Rather on the counterproductive side, don't ya think :wave1:

Back on topic

I think a propane tank mounting bracket would be suffice if I can find one cheap enough. Otherwise, I'm probably just gonna use some heavy duty multi purpose rubber straps and fab something up.

Regardless, I'll figure something out. thanks

I used a piece of angle welded to the wheelwell, and then strapped the tank to it so it's quickly removable. You could just as easily bolt it to the wheelwell (easier if you still have carpet), I would just turn the bolts so the nut side is inside the jeep so they don't hit the tires. You could make it even stronger and more stable by adding a second upright 6 inches part. This method is quick and easy, all you'll need is a drill and something with a cutoff wheel.

The only thing I don't like on my setup is the quick disconnect for the fill line is on the bottom, and when it bounces around it can disconnect. But I just need to put a spacer between the floor and tank to fix that problem, just haven't gotten around to it.

100_1302.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, that's probably the route I'll go: bolt a piece of metal to the sheet metal then use rubber straps to secure it in place.

Sounds like a plan if there isn't any afforable brackets out there.

Is it feasible to mount it to the plastic panel? the tanks not that heavy; like sandwich the panel with two metal strips to reinforce it, then bolt rubber straps to it?

Last edited:
Is it feasible to mount it to the plastic panel? the tanks not that heavy; like sandwich the panel with two metal strips to reinforce it, then bolt rubber straps to it?

It's been years since I had that plastic in my jeep, really don't remember how it's mounted. If you used something like you said to spread the force across it, the plastic itself would be strong enough. I'm just not sure about how well that panel is mounted to the body. I'd be concered in the event of a rollover when you got 1 or 2 g's in the wrong direction that tank would come flying off with the whole panel.

I don't think I'd mount it to the plastic, doubt it's strong enough for that big tank. I think what I'll eventually do with mine is take out just the rear plastic panels, make some aluminum panels to cover the big holes, but leave the sheet metal exposed so I can mount stuff to it, like my CO2 tank mount.

If you want, take out the plastic panels, run some bolts through the metal underneath it, then drill a few holes in the plastic for the bolts to come through. Something like that.

If you want, take out the plastic panels, run some bolts through the metal underneath it, then drill a few holes in the plastic for the bolts to come through. Something like that.

Could work if you find metal in the right places, there's not a lot behind that panel, except for the gas tank fill lines on the drivers side.

Some reasons I opted to mount to the wheelwell, cause they're metal, not behind any trim, and I could put the tank up tight behind the rear seat. If you moved it toward the hatch I think it's going to get in the way.

Back