• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP: 1999 Power Steering Resevoir?

mtngeronimo

NAXJA Forum User
1999 XJ. My power steering resevoir is leaking were it mates to the pump. The seal is created by an O ring and so I thought replacing it would be simple. Trying to find a good match has proven difficult and the dealer has no listing for size, in fact I dont find a listing for a separate resevoir after 1996 at all. What is the deal? Are these 1 piece units after 96' and I have an early model unit? If so, any idea what size O ring this would be. My searches have turned up nothing.

No they aren't a one piece unit and you don't have an early model unit. I never knew why they only sold the pump/resevoir separately, but I can confirm that an older style reservoir does infact mate to a '99 power steering pump just fine. I got a new reservoir from Crown, and I believe I used the new O-rings that came with the kit.

Might want to check the autoparts stores. Autozone shows a power steering pump re-seal kit for like $10. It has a couple seals and o-rings and maybe a bearing.

Forget the auto parts store or dealer, they don't have them.
Head to your local hardware store's plumbing department with the bad "O" ring and look through the faucet washers.

I paid 80¢ for two a couple of months ago after spending several hours going to all the usual places.

Mike

Thank you all for the advice. It turns out what I thought for sure to be an o-ring is actually a leak from the back of the pump itself. This happens to be an aftermarket PSC pump, Model #1205 M. Now to figure out if I can remove the large tension/snap ring to access a seal? Anyone with experience in replacing this seal?

Back