• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

100K Mile Service

scott00tj

NAXJA Forum User
Well my '99XJ is about to hit the 100K mark. I'm wondering what service I should have performed. I have to be honest the maintenance schedule was never really followed other then lub, oil, filter. Order of importance since money is tight.

Definitely the o2 if it wasn't done yet--yours would be good for about 80k miles.

Do you have your owner's manual?

Not to threadjack but I've got a question regarding changing the O2. My 98 2wd XJ has 152K and I have no idea if it's the original set of sensors. My XJ gets 19mpg in town and about 22 on the freeway......is there a point when I should just replace them, or wait for the mileage to drop off or get a CEL?

Definitely the o2 if it wasn't done yet?

I know one of the O2 sensors was replaced right about 80K. I also replaced the rear diff fluid about a month ago. Ran out of time to do the front that weekend.

I figure I can do the diffs and transfer case fluids without to much hassle. I'm debating about having the AW4 and coolant system flushed.

Not to threadjack but I've got a question regarding changing the O2. My 98 2wd XJ has 152K and I have no idea if it's the original set of sensors. My XJ gets 19mpg in town and about 22 on the freeway......is there a point when I should just replace them, or wait for the mileage to drop off or get a CEL?

It sounds like your upstream o2 sensor is working fine. I never replace the downstream o2 sensors until they throw a code--they just monitor if the CAT is doing its job.

Can you check the service history of your XJ?

I know one of the O2 sensors was replaced right about 80K. I also replaced the rear diff fluid about a month ago. Ran out of time to do the front that weekend.

I figure I can do the diffs and transfer case fluids without to much hassle. I'm debating about having the AW4 and coolant system flushed.

Do you know what type of fluid is currently in your AW4?

For the transfer case--ALWAYS loosen the fill plug first, they will stick and if you drain it without getting that fill plug loose you are STUCK.

I would be willing to bet what it had from the factory. Unfortunately I don't mean the same type, I mean the same exact fluid.

Ok, it would have left the factory with Dex III.

You can, according to Chrysler as of October 16, 2007, start using ATF+4 if you want to. It shouldn't be mixed so a complete flush/replace is in order.

Or stick with Dex III. You can do a poor man's flush--search, its been posted a lot. You will need about 14 quarts of fluid. Dex III should be flushed at every 30,000 mile MAX, less if overheated as in hard 4x4 or towing use.

Your diffs should get GL-5 75w90, unless you tow a lot.

Transfercase gets Dex III, but you could use ATF+4 if you switch your AW4 over to it. There are no clutches and brakes in the transfercase, so the type of ATF makes no difference there.

New plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor

Check belt. Replace if ANY question

New hoses. Especially if they are original.

Fluids as mentioned all of them. Coolant, thermostat, tranny fluid, transfer case, differentials. Fluids are the LIFEBLOOD of your vehicle. They need to be fresh.

Back