• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another 242 T-case question

Rob D

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I didn't find this, so hopefully it's not a repeat:

I've got a 242 that seems to be slipping when in part-time mode, either high or low range. I used to be able to drive around in 4-hi with just the front drive line (new rear one being made) without a problem. Last time I tried it it felt like I had a manual tranny with a badly slipping clutch (I have an AW-4). Plus on my last outing on the trail, on a couple of occasions the front would bump up against a rock and the back would spin, but not the front. The t-case would make a "ratchetting" sound as the rear spun. It also popped out of low range if just the front drive shaft is connected, but not with both shafts connected. 2-hi works just fine all the time, which is good since it's my dd. Any ideas why it's doing this? Thanks in advance for any help.

mine did this a long time ago when i first had the jeep, full time worked fine, but part time would slip. some use helped mine, but i dont think the chain was slipping in my case. and it was maybe gummed up inside. because it works fine now

sounds like the chain is stretched and jumping in your case. swap cases or take yours apart and put in a new chain.

The chain and bearings are pretty new, less than 15k. This was maybe the second run since doing a rebuild and it worked fine on the first run. But who knows, I suppose the chain could stretch out if it's not that good of a chain. But the rebuild kit was from Crown, which I thought was fairly good.(?)

how hard was that rebuild to do? i have been thinking about it myself.
that is odd since it is a new kit.
maybe your shift linkage is misaligned and the t case is not fully in gear except in 2WD?
would be worth checking

I've been thinking the same thing as I keep thinking about it. The rebuild is pretty easy to do. But you'll need a blind hole bearing puller to replace the bearing for the end of the front output shaft (opposite end from the yoke). Other than that the only "hard" part is just getting to all the bolts holding the t-case to the tranny. But based on what I wrote earlier, I am tending to think you're right and I need to adjust the linkage before doing anything else.

Back