• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobble.

Mitchen

NAXJA Forum User
my buddy just bought a 94 xj.
5 speed. 4 inch lift on 33's

it was getting death wobble. he was stuck in 4x4 so we fixed that
didnt help. so after alot of looking around we decided to disconnect the swaybar because it was bent. the wobble is pretty much gone now.

can a bent swaybar cause this? or was it only aiding the problem? we checked all the bushings and everything looked fine. there is alot of slop in the steering though. also he is running stock upper and lower control arms.

Thanks,
Mitch

A loose track bar can create slop in your steering too. I'd make sure everything steering related is tight, i.e. tie rod, draglink, trackbar.

In almost every case of DW I've diagnosed the caster needed to be adjusted. 4" lift with stock uppers and lowers I can almost promise you need to adjust caster. Without aftermarket arms that would be rather difficult since the stock adjustment only allows about 3/4" of movement.

problem was the track bar. the mount to the unibody frame rail what ever you want to call it was missing two upper bolts and the lower two had loosened up alot. for some reason we overlooked the track bar completely when we had it up on the lift. probably the only thing we didnt check..

its all fixed up now.

Thanks,
Mitch

Back