• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case shifter linkage part number request

casm

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at doing the shifter linkage mod on my NP242, and am trying (so far without any success) to do some cross-referencing on one of the shifter linkage components. The item I'm interested in is #52 in the diagram below:

aqGGl.gif

What I need to know is the following:

- Is this part available individually? From digging around online, it seems as though the only way to obtain it from Chrysler is by purchasing a complete transfer case; even finding a reference to a complete linkage assembly is proving difficult.

- If it does have its own part number, what is it, and is it the same for both the NP231 and NP242? Alternatively, can someone confirm that this part is exactly identical on a 231 and a 242?

- This part of the linkage is clocked downwards on XJs, but I've read that on YJs it was clocked upwards. If so, is it simply a flipped version of the XJ component?

Comparative photographs of both would be incredibly helpful if you happen to have them. Just to clarify why I'm as interested in seeing these as I am: the local machine shop thinks that they may be able to cut a run of these parts that are correctly-clocked for doing the mod at a reasonable price - but I'd like to figure out in advance if the same item can be used for the 242 as the 231.

Right now the weather and holidays are keeping the local junkyards on irregular hours through probably February, so my access to the usual outlets for being able to eyeball this stuff is very limited. Assistance would most definitely be appreciated.

Part # 5300 4227 for the 242 according to my 2000 parts catalogue
Part # 4897 185AA for the 231.

Thank you, that's much appreciated. Just to verify, both of these numbers are from the XJ parts catalogue, correct?

Reference note: 4897 185AA appears to be the same part number for an XJ or TJ with the NP231.

Last edited:
Seems like it'd be much easier to cut and reweld the arm with the slot in the orientation you want. Actually, I'd probably just grab some new metal and fab up a new arm. Cut the slot with a dremel wheel drill a new hole. Maybe make the pivot hole a little closer so the front shifter level didn't have to be longer to get enough throw.

Seems like it'd be much easier to cut and reweld the arm with the slot in the orientation you want.

If I had access to welding equipment, sure.

Actually, I'd probably just grab some new metal and fab up a new arm. Cut the slot with a dremel wheel drill a new hole. Maybe make the pivot hole a little closer so the front shifter level didn't have to be longer to get enough throw.

Way ahead of you on that one ;) Just going through the parts bin to see if there's something already there that's close enough to what I need.

Let's keep this thread focussed on part numbers & compatibility - there are other ones going already that would be better-suited to discussing the alternatives.

Back