• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some quick advice!

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
Searched around a bit and haven't had much luck. Currently running a Hack n Tap SYE with a XJ front shaft. The centering ball in the double cardan went out on me today while 2.5 hours away from home(squeeling very badly). In all the stock DC's i've rebuilt, when they start squeeling you don't have much time before they completely seize up. Was going to pull my front shaft and throw it behind the CV Flange Adapter that is needed for the Hack n Tap set up. Got everything off and looked at the shafts closer, and it looks like the flange in this case also doubles as the centering ball...which means swapping shafts would do me no good.

Got it over to my parents house but I still need to get an hour back to Charlotte tonight, and I have an hour commute each way after that to work and back...all highway. I'm considering running it in 4x4 (I have a 242, so I can run either part time or full time) and just driving with the front shaft. I can't see why it would hurt anything as long as I was reasonable in driving (60-65mph range maybe). Could probably fix it by Tuesday at the latest, depending on how quick I could get the part. Think it would hurt it to (carefully) run in 4x4 for a couple of days? Would it be better to run in Full Time or Part Time?

That's what im thinking. We did it to my buddy's 88 last year after he broke the yoke off the rear axle on a rock while wheeling. Didn't hurt his at all from what I could tell, but we only did it for about 40 or so miles...i'll be doing 300 or so.

Yea, run in front wheel drive "mode" for a while won't hurt. In case you haven't figured it out, you'll need to run in 4x4 part-time to send power to the front when the rear DS is removed. In full-time mode, the differential in the transfer case sends all power to the rear and you won't go anywhere!

Back