• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D-Ring Receiver for rear

Brent T

NAXJA Forum User
Newb question I know. I did search, but saw a lot of conflicting info. Is this considered safe and adequate for the rear tow point? It's rated for 10K pounds and they're on sale for $8.99 at HF. I'm just about ready to get my newly acquired XJ out on the trail, just need tow points.

Thanks

image_17271.jpg

I don't see why it wouldn't be considered adequate/safe? Same thing as a D-ring on a bumper. I would just make sure you use grade 8 hardware wherever hardware is needed. Better safe than sorry.

I've been using the warn version of this. It's been through a few of club trail runs and safety checks, no issues so far. This is the only recovery point for the back of my jeep.
89's point is key.

I just went and looked at that d ring receiver and i'm not to sure about it. It might say 10,000 lbs but honestly if you had to pull on it at a slight angle, those tabs are gonna bend and you'll never get the shackle off there. I wouldn't want to be anywhere but i'n side my rig when pulling on that. Might turn into a one time use deal, and look out when or if it does.
Just my .02

I just stick the loop of the strap in my hitch and put the pin through it.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

I just went and looked at that d ring receiver and i'm not to sure about it. It might say 10,000 lbs but honestly if you had to pull on it at a slight angle, those tabs are gonna bend and you'll never get the shackle off there. I wouldn't want to be anywhere but i'n side my rig when pulling on that. Might turn into a one time use deal, and look out when or if it does.
Just my .02

For my Dring recievers i drill a new hole 90* to the old ones. So the shackle sits up and down. Most of the time forces are side to side not up and down so it doesn't put stress on the shackle and tabs like that.

For my Dring recievers i drill a new hole 90* to the old ones. So the shackle sits up and down. Most of the time forces are side to side not up and down so it doesn't put stress on the shackle and tabs like that.

Hmmmm.. Didn't even think of that. That would probably be ok that way and even if you needed to pull up or down you could just flip it 90* the other way.

Genius!

I just stick the loop of the strap in my hitch and put the pin through it.
I've had good results with that trick as well but I've read where some have bent cheap pins and had to cut them off to get the strap loose. It might be okay if you get your own strap stuck but if you got somebody else's strap hung up in your junk they might be pissed.

Don't use cheap pins. :)
I haven't had any problems. Suppose it would be easier to do with a static strap. But you shouldn't use those anyways.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

Might as well not waste your time and just take the hitch ball out of a reciever and you are already set up. I've done this before in a pinch and no problems.

Back