• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing a stock engine, what parts do I need?

Okay, I’m saving up for a remanufactured engine for a 2000 XJ. What parts will I need to buy? Or, what else should I buy? Feel free to add to my list.

1. Water Pump $40
2. Alternator (High output if someone makes them) $300
3. R134 for the A/C $150
4. Battery $150
5. Drive Belt $30
6. Aluminum 3 core radiator (I’m not sure if anyone makes them for my model year) $300
7. Upper and Power Hoses $50
8. Thermostat $10
9. Engine Mounts $100
10. Oil and Filter $50

Last edited:
Engine mounts
Oil and filter

Why the new alternator? Also, either the GDI 3-row or a stock copper-brass 2-row (factory HD cooling option radiator) will be much less than $300.

Thanks for the added parts. To answer you question, I would like a more heavy duty alternator so I can run exterior lights. Is the GDI aluminum?

For radiator get a CSF 3 row ~180.00
Plum in a trans cooler if you dont all ready have one ~50.00

For motor mounts get Brown Dogs ~90.00

Battery, the biggest one i could get at wall mart with 3 year free replacment was ~90.00

For alternator get a 136amp one that came in
  • 1997-1998 Dodge B.Series Van
  • 1997-1998 Dodge Dakota
  • 1998 Dodge Durango
  • 1997-1998 Dodge Ram Pickup
  • 1997-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Part number:56027913
Fits with a little grinding on the bracket
Cost like 165.00 new with exchange and lifetime warrenty.

Thanks whitexj98 for the useful post. I'm writing all this stuff down and will be making orders as I go along. I'm trying to keep my stock motor going as long as I can.

don't forget new quick connect o rings for the fuel rail (if still applicable on a 2000) and the stuff to reconnect your trans cooler.

If I was doing a new motor I'd go ahead and grab a new water pump outlet as well, they're like $20 at the parts store.

I'd do the harmonic balancer while I had access to it as well.

save your money on the HO alternator and spend it on the Brown dog mounts. I just bought there super kit that uses extra block holes to make it stiffer. Ive always found the 117amp stock alternator on my 2000 to be quite adequate.

Make sure you do not get another 331 head.

The best battery out there IMO is the Sears Platinum. Its a rebadged Odyssey for about $100 less. They have a great warrantee and dat bitch can crank!

Oh and here is some advice about all the random parts you need: ORDER FROM RockAuto.com. They have awesome prices and fast shipping. Like for the same price you can get the generic stuff at vato zone you can get Goodyear and Stant parts.

just placed an order this morning and used this code:44089651870797

EDIT: $150 for A/C! Is that just to fill up the system?

EDIT: $150 for A/C! Is that just to fill up the system?

LOL..... no, I actually have two dozen cans at home. I bought them when they were on clearance at Wal-Mart for $3.88 a can. Actually, I was calculating the cost of labor to charge the system and replace any o-rings, etc. I’m being somewhat liberal in my estimates because I’m saving my cash flow and I don’t want to be disappointed by falling short, LOL. I’ve learned that auto projects always cost more than projected. Something unexpected will bite me in the butt, it always does.

If I was doing a new motor I'd go ahead and grab a new water pump outlet as well, they're like $20 at the parts store.

I'd do the harmonic balancer while I had access to it as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by a new water pump "outlet"? Can you elaborate for me?

Are there aftermarket harmoic balancers for the XJ's are do you mean just replace it with a new factory one?

save your money on the HO alternator and spend it on the Brown dog mounts. I just bought there super kit that uses extra block holes to make it stiffer. Ive always found the 117amp stock alternator on my 2000 to be quite adequate.

Actually I plan to do both. I need a beefed-up alternator to run aftermarket lights. Everybody and their dog recommends the Brown Dog mounts, so that's a must.

I'm not sure what you mean by a new water pump "outlet"? Can you elaborate for me?

Are there aftermarket harmoic balancers for the XJ's are do you mean just replace it with a new factory one?

The rest of the world calls it a thermostat housing, the parts still will look it up as a "water pump outlet" I just saved yo uten minutes at the parts counter.

all the harmonic balancers are the same, quality varies, buy a decent one, you only want to do that job one time.

Back