• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie Question

steeda106

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up guys, just bought a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport in great shape for $3,500 and im excited to start modifying it. As i drove it home i felt and heard a loud pop noise every time i went over a bump or pot hole. It feels like the rear strut/shock is broken, any ideas anyone?

Check out the shocks definately! when i bought mine the bushings were shot...I'd also make sure the u bolts are tight.

Get it up on a hoist and give it a thorough inspection.

Hard for us to tell on things like this as there are many possibilities.

Agree. Shock bushings top and bottom, could just be the shock bar-pins binding up and unloading--common occurrence, could be a broken shock mount bolt, slew of other things including loose exhaust.

Get it on a lift and do a thorough inspection.

If the upper shock mount bolts are broken, stop before you try & replace them, and look under the mod-tech area here for how to make bar pin eliminators out of rear sway bar mounting brackets. Those bolts are some of the worst ones on the vehicle, so eliminating them forever is a great great thing. Ask me how I know ;-).

Here's a non_NAXJA writeup:
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Rear_BPEs.htm

Back