• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

H4 headlight housings: IPF vs Hella vs Silverstar

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have the "old style" IPF H4 housings on my 96 Cherokee and run Narva 90/100 watt bulbs w/ a heavy duty harness. This setup works amazing. I have read that IPF changed their H4 housings and the new ones are not as good as the older ones???

Anyway, what is the best bang for buck H4 headlight housing? IPF, Hella, or Silverstar?

i have the Silver stars on my 87 they are nice for a replacement light.i am going to try a set of Hellas that im taking out of my girl friends 92 and going install some 80/100 watt and install them on my 87 and of course do a wiring upgrade if necc. ill keeo you informed on how they are

IPF > Hella > others.
When I bought mine a couple years ago got the IPFs for 35$/ea from quadratec

Please do yourself a favor and buy the Autopals on Ebay. I got mine a couple months ago and they work 200% better than the stock lights. And for less than $45 shipped? I can't understand why anyone would buy anything else. Quality is good. No problems whatsoever with these lights.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-0...ccessories&hash=item4ce8f6e309#ht_1974wt_1161

EDIT: I also want to say that I decided on these lights myself after reading the countless threads on many Jeep forums including this one. Check around. You won't be sorry.

Last edited:
Please do yourself a favor and buy the Autopals on Ebay. I got mine a couple months ago and they work 200% better than the stock lights. And for less than $45 shipped? I can't understand why anyone would buy anything else. Quality is good. No problems whatsoever with these lights.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-0...ccessories&hash=item4ce8f6e309#ht_1974wt_1161

EDIT: I also want to say that I decided on these lights myself after reading the countless threads on many Jeep forums including this one. Check around. You won't be sorry.

WOW.... $26.95 plus shipping for (2) 200mm housings and (2) H4 55/60W bulbs....
Appears to be a REALLY good deal, but I can't help but wonder what the longevity of those housings and bulbs will be....
Good luck with your purchase.... Caveat Emptor !!!
I purchased a set of Hella H4 housings along with a set of PIAA bulbs 12 years ago. The bulbs lasted almost 8 years and the housings continue to provide an outstanding beam.

I wouldn't do the Autopals. I had a set and as a street headlight, they suck. They illuminate stuff half a mile down the road, but I couldn't see what was directly in front of me. No bueno. :(

I run IPF housings with Autopal 100/90W bulbs and a home made harness. I am very happy with their performance and $11 for the pair of bulbs is much cheaper than the IPF Fatboys I used to have.

Interesting comments here... just some thoughts, the Autopal housings are glass, and have the exact same specs and cut on the glass as the Hella and the IPF ( I know, I compared the three, and its identical). I ran a set in my Jeep, and one finnally cracked after a rock was thrown at it from a vehicle I was following, ordered another set, and was on my way, 5 years later, that set is still on the jeep ( I dont even own it anymore).

The autopal housings had a worse pattern then my current IPF's. I also cracked (shattered) 4 autopals last winter (I think the combination of thin, cheap glass and hot bulbs took their toll on them). The IPF's have held up much better to the cold and hot bulbs. I would recommend the IPF's over the autopals anyday.

I wouldn't do the Autopals. I had a set and as a street headlight, they suck. They illuminate stuff half a mile down the road, but I couldn't see what was directly in front of me. No bueno. :(

At first I was not that happy with the beam. After a few nights of adjusting the headlights, it went from a little better than stock to :sunshine:

With only the 55/60 bulb it definitely could be brighter, but I do not feel unsafe at night like I used to, and the pattern is nice if you take the time to adjust it!

I run the AutoPals with an upgraded harness and the 100/90s bulbs. There are better housings out there, but for the money they are hard to beat.

Just wanted to say lots of people read and rely on these old posts. I just installed hella h4 housings with heavy duty harness (Putco). Easy install very happy with the results. Daily driver and needed more light than the stock (original 15 year old) sealed beams....

The autopal housings had a worse pattern then my current IPF's. I also cracked (shattered) 4 autopals last winter (I think the combination of thin, cheap glass and hot bulbs took their toll on them). The IPF's have held up much better to the cold and hot bulbs. I would recommend the IPF's over the autopals anyday.

I ran Siverstars for several years but they only lasted about 200 hours. Working nights, this was a problem.
So I bought and installed a pair of Autodials about eight years ago and soon took off for a week long trip to the north end of Death Valley and into Nevada, along with two other Jeeps.
Gravel busted both lamps within three days. The super thin glass could not take much of an impact, which may be fine for street use but thrown gravel will kill them.
I wasn't impressed with either beam pattern.
Came home and ordered a set of IPFs and Hella 80/100 bulbs.
While I'm on the second set of bulbs, the housings, while pitted, are still intact.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COBLKW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
The IPFs, on low beams, have a great cut off, allowing the use of higher wattage bulbs without a blinding problem. The high beams look like a bright tunnel of light.

To take full advantage of the higher wattage bulb upgrade, the headlight wiring was changed to 10 and 12-gauge, along with added relays and inline fusing.
Upgrading the headlight wiring will even make the stock headlights brighter.

Back