• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Service/Shop Manual

ebay, techauthority, bishko books.

If it's a manual on CD on ebay ignore it, it is pirated, if you want crappy quality pirated material pirate it yourself. I would suggest getting a real FSM instead because they are far better sources of info.

Depends quite a bit on year. Not out of the ballpark, though.

I paid 50 or so for my 96, same for my 91 (a 2 volume set that covers the XJ, MJ, YJ, and SJ), and I think 90 or so for my 6 volume set for the 98, which also covers sections of the ZJ and TJ but not all of them.

Hit and miss on ebay, keep checking back as you can sometimes get a great deal there.

Otherwise, fork out the clams form TechAuthority, etc. and be done with it.

The FSM is by far the superior document for working on your XJ.

Bishko has the manuals on CD up through 1996, the newer ones are only print versions. The CDs run about $37, and they are licensed so no copyright issues.

*5* supplements? The printed shop manual set I bought for my 94 was 1 volume, with a single supplement for the A/C.

I've got all sorts of supplements for my 98 set, they cover the 5.2, 5.9 (I think), 2.5, and maybe even diesel motors in extreme detail. There is also a supplement for the ABS module that is sorta year specific, I have one for 92/93 Jeeps. I believe you could also get the errata docs and late additions as a separate book instead of the regular paste-in sheets but I am not sure.

EDIT: yep, TSB book, powertrain diag procedures, body diag procedures (basically just big flowchart books), 2.5/4.0/5.2/5.9 powertrain diag procedures, tech supplements and revisions. There was also an AW4 book separate IIRC but I did not bother getting it, and I didn't need the ABS book for this year.

I have scrounged these printed manuals for my 1990:

Service Manual, Engine, Chassis, Body

Service Manual, Electrical

Powertrain Diagnostics Procedures, Jeep XJ Anti-Lock Brakes & AW4 Transmission

And one 1989 printed manual:

Powertrain Diagnostics Procedures, 2.5/4.0 Liter Electronic Fuel Injection XJ Vehicles

I find that I use the Bishko CD manuals more, likely because I have a notebook grafted to my belly.

Back