• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Exhuast from header to Cat, need help for 2000 XJ

Okay, when I replace the motor, I’m wanting to replace the exhaust. I want the Dynomax catback, but I need some suggestions from the header to the Cat. So far I’ve only seen that Banks offers a header for the 2000 XJ. I’m not sure about a Cat, haven’t found one yet that will work on a 2000. And where do you get the pipe from header to cat?

You can get the pipe from any auto store. Usually in pre bent pieces, but you have to mock it up and weld it yourself that way. A Magnaflow Universal High Flow cat should work on a 2000.

Its really going to depend on which emission package. Mine is the two o2 and single cat. I put the banks header on mine. Here are the part numbers Banks header 51306,Walker headpipe 55277 and Magna flow converter 23226. The only thing I had to was make the front o2 wiring longer. Pretty easy to do.

does your xj have dual cats or single cats. i have been seeing more cars that were sold in states bordering California have California emission packages and there are some states back east that are running ca. emission packages. ugh

does your xj have dual cats or single cats.

Just to add to this:

On a 2000 XJ with Federal-spec emissions, you'll have two oxygen sensors and one catalytic converter.

On a 2000 XJ with California-spec emissions, you'll have precats, four oxygen sensors, and two catalytic converters.

Reason I bring this up is that if you're running CA emissions gear, you will need everything to be in place and functional - not just to pass smog, but also so that the Jeep's not throwing codes for failed oxygen sensors or similar.

Conceivably you could use a CA-spec exhaust & emissions system on a Federal-spec XJ by putting bungs in the unused oxygen sensor locations, but there's no advantage to it - one cat would have to be removed and replaced with straight pipe anyway, and I'm not sure what effect (if any) the precats would have on what's happening downstream. In any event, the CA-spec system would almost certainly cost more, so just finding the Federal one up front if that's what you need would make more sense.

Its really going to depend on which emission package. Mine is the two o2 and single cat. I put the banks header on mine. Here are the part numbers Banks header 51306,Walker headpipe 55277 and Magna flow converter 23226. The only thing I had to was make the front o2 wiring longer. Pretty easy to do.

Yeah, mine has the single cat. How do you like the Banks Header? Are there any other headers that I should consider? Honestly, I think Banks is about the only one who makes one for the 2000 XJ's.

Thanks for the part number for the head pipe. Just to clarify, is the head pipe another name for the front pipe that connects the header to the converter?

Just to add to this:

On a 2000 XJ with Federal-spec emissions, you'll have two oxygen sensors and one catalytic converter.

On a 2000 XJ with California-spec emissions, you'll have precats, four oxygen sensors, and two catalytic converters.

Thanks for the heads up. I’m glad that I don’t have a California vehicle. :yelclap:

Rigged ridge also makes a header. http://www.ruggedridgesales.com/Exhaust-Header-PRD1615.aspx

I don't know of anyone that makes a good aftermarket down pipe for the 00+.

As far as running an earlier header that shouldn't be fine on a federal emissions vehicle. You won't have any O2 sensors in the manifold so you don't have to drill any holes in the headers. Of course you will have to have the down pipe modified for the earlier header.

Yeah, mine has the single cat. How do you like the Banks Header? Are there any other headers that I should consider? Honestly, I think Banks is about the only one who makes one for the 2000 XJ's.

Thanks for the part number for the head pipe. Just to clarify, is the head pipe another name for the front pipe that connects the header to the converter?
Banks is the only one that I found the matches the ports near perfect. The other companies are a fits all type.I am very happy with it. Yes head pipe or front pipe are the same just different names depending on which company you go with.

Banks is the only one that I found the matches the ports near perfect. The other companies are a fits all type.I am very happy with it. Yes head pipe or front pipe are the same just different names depending on which company you go with.

Okay, then I think that takes care of my exhaust.

1. Banks Header 51306
2. Walker Front Pipe 55277
3. Magna flow Converter 23226
4. Dynomax catback 17340

:party:

sorry to hijack but the thread got me to go out and check my manifold. I have the california emissions! 4 oxygen sensors and 2 precats.

I just purchased the Brown dog super mounts with the header option because I was planning on a BANKS pretty soon.

Does the Cali emissions mean I have to keep the stock exhaust?

Okay, then I think that takes care of my exhaust.

1. Banks Header 51306
2. Walker Front Pipe 55277
3. Magna flow Converter 23226
4. Dynomax catback 17340

:party:

Why not upgrade while your at it? It will be nice have rust free exhaust, at least for a little while :laugh3:

Banks is the only one that I found the matches the ports near perfect.

The head ports do not need to match the head exactly. Its better for the header ports to be larger so there is a step to prevent reversion. You do not want the header ports to be smaller or block any of the head port. Most aftermarket headers have larger ports.

Does the Cali emissions mean I have to keep the stock exhaust?

You have to keep the stock down pipe with the pre cats or have one fabricated using two small high flow cats and 2 O2 sensor bungs.

Why not upgrade while your at it? It will be nice have rust free exhaust, at least for a little while :laugh3:

What do you mean by upgrading? I thought was already upgrading, LOL. Are you saying that I should move from aluminum piping to stainless steel?

sorry I meant upgrading the size of the tubing. Well now I know I will be keeping the stock exhaust, do to the pre cats on the down pipe. However, when I decide to drop $$ on headers for my wagoneer, im gonna go full 3" duel exhaust!

Oh, I see..............

Walker front pipe 55277, can't seem to find much info on this item. Is it larger diameter, or it just doesn't have the pinch point? Has anyone run this part yet and if so how does your engine like it? (especially below 3000rpm)

I am looking to replace my front pipe as well. Already have the Banks header installed on my 98' and looking to run the DynoMax cat-back too.

Okay, I spoke way too soon and didn’t know hat I was talking about. I was under the hood when I saw the (California Emissions) sticker. So yeah, I’m screwed, lol. I don’t live in a states that checks emissions, but I don’t want to throw codes either. When I install a new motor, should I try to buy a new OE Cali emissions header?

Back