• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does this sound like a bad TPS sensor?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a 99 XJ w/ 108k miles. AW4, 242. Kind of regret selling my 97 XJ with 185k on it to buy this one. My 97 ran like a dream!!

I'm a delivery driver and drive this jeep about 100 to 150 miles per day, mostly in town.

This always occurs after I have placed it in park, shift into gear, and get moving. It will happen about twice a day. What is does is it'll start moving, get to about 1200ish RPMs, then start to spudder and not really move... if I mash the gas it doesn't really do anything but then after 2 or 3 seconds it'll rev up and start driving normally again. Then it wont happen for several more hours.

Sometimes I can hear a click when it gets moving again after the problem occurs but that could just be a coincidence. This problem occurs in both 2wd and 4x4.

Does it sound like a bad TPS sensor or should I look else where?

My stutter like this was due to a lazy O2 sensor. It did not throw a code, happened infrequently then gradually more frequently. Same symptoms. Testing the sensor showed it had slow response.

With a scanner, not a code reader. The scanner will let you see the sensor performance.

O2 sensor is suspect. They have a finite lifespan, which depending on how the engine is running, can range from 100k to 150k. Replacing the pre-cat sensor at least might be a good idea.

The throttle position sensor can be tested with a manual and an analog meter.

Any check engine light ever seen? If so, you must pull the stored codes for clues.

Back