• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best remedy for leaking in-radiator trans cooler hookups?

jbmoose

NAXJA Forum User
As the title states. The threaded hookups where the trans line goes into the radiator (mainly the upper one below the rad cap) have begun leaking. It went from no leak to a half dollar sized puddle in about 4 hrs. What's the best remedy for this? Is there a newer style hose available? Maybe an updated version of quick connector? Something available aftermarket? I was thinking of just plugging the holes and adding an auxillary cooler, such as B&M or Flex-A-Lite, but our winters are cold here, so I dont want to overcool the fluid, as the OEM radiator trans cooler would probably help to keep the temperature nominal.

Cut & clamp the hoses. Mine is set up that way and hasn't leaked a drop in 4-5 years (OK maybe 1 drop).

I bypassed the whole radiator link BUT I live in sunny CA. Cold here is 30F. The radiator link is really a heat exchanger designed to WARM the tranny fluid.

If you bypass the link and add a cooler it's fine for towing a trailer in the summer, but your tranny will struggle to get up to 100F in the winter out there. Best temp for AW4 is ~125F - 175F.

In the summer it's fine to disconnect the heat exchanger and run it straight thru an after market cooler.

You can just use ATF specified rubber hose to replace those quick disconnects (QD) connections. Be sure and double clamp the lines.

Back