• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.3 chevy swap?

zuk_freak

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys.so i have a stock 4 litre in my jeep. but i just recently picked up a yj with a 4.3 vortec advance adapter and ax15. i am really thinking about swappin in the 4.3 and tranny into my xj. would this be worth doing why or why not? from what i've read the 4.3 is better on fuel. any help appreciated.

Get a pre-renix XJ and put it in there if you really want it i an XJ. The Jeep 4.0L is more reliable than the GM 4,3L

The yj is beat. Doors wont shut and body is dented and rusted everwhere.had to sell the samurai (16 year old budget cant afford everthing lol) now im workin on buildin up the xj. I would like more power wouldnt putting in the 4.3 and doing some simple mods be better then modding the 4.0?? One of my jeep buddys said i should swap in the 4.3 but idk.just wanted to hear yalls opinions. Thanks

Sell the parts from the YJ and build a stroker. Have more power in the end, and probably a lot less trouble. Both are good engines, but I think I'd prefer the I6 in the Jeep. Even then, there are a lot of other things you'd probably be happier with spending your money on before you need more power.

If you're worried about mileage, buy a cheap car to drive to and from work, school and around town. Then keep the Jeep for when you want to hit some trails or go camping.

Stay away from the the 4.3. I have a 1995 s10 with the 4.3 vortec and it's a nice engine, but it's not better than the 4.0, by any means. Pretty sure you can fill the oil full of sand in a 4.0 and it would still run just fine. 4.0 is a beast of an engine, it has more torque than the 4.3. 4.3 doesn't even put out 200hp plus they get like anywhere from 16-20 mpg. Had a buddy with a 1997 Chevy 1500 4.3 v6 and he got about 17 mpg.

Summary:
4.0 > 4.3

Short list of mods that can/will help free up power.
Bored TB ( strokedjeep.com ) I have yet to get one (but will when funds allow) and hear great things.
Exhaust, even if only a cat-back it will help.
Replace mech fan with another e-fan (will free up some power)

Stay away from the the 4.3. I have a 1995 s10 with the 4.3 vortec and it's a nice engine, but it's not better than the 4.0, by any means. Pretty sure you can fill the oil full of sand in a 4.0 and it would still run just fine. 4.0 is a beast of an engine, it has more torque than the 4.3. 4.3 doesn't even put out 200hp plus they get like anywhere from 16-20 mpg. Had a buddy with a 1997 Chevy 1500 4.3 v6 and he got about 17 mpg.

Summary:
4.0 > 4.3
I agree with your final conclusion, but your logic is faulty.

The 4.0 has less torque, by about 10-20 lb-ft as compared to the 4.3. The 4.0 might put its torque out lower though. The 4.3 and HO 4.0 put out the same horsepower, 190. Neither puts out 200.

Mileage would seem to be similar. One thing to remember though when comparing 4.3 mpg vs 4.0 mpg is the vehicle it comes in. An S10 is a heavier vehicle designed for heavier work than an XJ. A 1500 is much larger and heavier than an XJ. With 30s, my XJ got about 18 mpg, so compared to a 1500 getting 17, sounds like the 4.3's mpg would actually be better.

My brother in law as 2 4.3s, one in a 91 S15 Jimmy, one in a 99 GMC Sierra 1500. The 99 has nearly 300k miles with no rebuild yet. The 91 has been beaten on as long as he's owned it and never had a problem.

Both engines are great engines, but the amount of work required to swap a 4.3 in place of a 4.0 doesn't justify the end result.

I had a 94 S-10 4x4 with the 4.3.. Lots of off the shelf mods. Elec fan, JBA headders, full exhaust, KN intake. Etc. Loved the truck and it was a great motor.. Lots of power and smoked rangers all day long with 3.73's and 33's.

Swapped it for a 2k XJ w/ 4.0. Noticed the power loss but not much. Modded (s10) to stock (xj). Needed the interior room.. Have since build a 4.6 stroker. Have over 40k miles on it and have modded a bunch to it. Injectors, headders, P&p head, 2.5 exhaust all way, bored TB, match ported 2k intake/head/exhaust. 8.9 comp, etc.. All I can think of right now. Running 32's now with 3.55 gears. Not too bad.. I need to call the guy who bought my truck and run him.. Would be close.. ( 33's in garage. Just finished up installing 4.56 and aussie on spare axle. .Need to swap it in!!!!!)

Think of this.. Installed my 4.6 into the jeep in one day.. Drove away before dark. Have no problem changing my plugs. NO wiring problems. No clearance problems. No custom motor mounts. And no spider injector problems the 4.3 are notorrious for.. That took me a full day in itself. Oh and the 4.6 has about 20-30% more HP ad TQ now.. Call me :looney:.

I had a 94 S-10 4x4 with the 4.3.. Lots of off the shelf mods. Elec fan, JBA headders, full exhaust, KN intake. Etc. Loved the truck and it was a great motor.. Lots of power and smoked rangers all day long with 3.73's and 33's.

Swapped it for a 2k XJ w/ 4.0. Noticed the power loss but not much. Modded (s10) to stock (xj). Needed the interior room.. Have since build a 4.6 stroker. Have over 40k miles on it and have modded a bunch to it. Injectors, headders, P&p head, 2.5 exhaust all way, bored TB, match ported 2k intake/head/exhaust. 8.9 comp, etc.. All I can think of right now. Running 32's now with 3.55 gears. Not too bad.. I need to call the guy who bought my truck and run him.. Would be close.. ( 33's in garage. Just finished up installing 4.56 and aussie on spare axle. .Need to swap it in!!!!!)

Think of this.. Installed my 4.6 into the jeep in one day.. Drove away before dark. Have no problem changing my plugs. NO wiring problems. No clearance problems. No custom motor mounts. And no spider injector problems the 4.3 are notorrious for.. That took me a full day in itself. Oh and the 4.6 has about 20-30% more HP ad TQ now.. Call me :looney:.
thanks for the replys. what did u all have to do to your 4.0 to make it into a stroker? i've seen the kits and well.....the kinda money it is for a kit i would be further ahead probably buying a totaled off chevy 1/2 ton and swapping in the 350 vortec? thanks again

thanks for the replys. what did u all have to do to your 4.0 to make it into a stroker? i've seen the kits and well.....the kinda money it is for a kit i would be further ahead probably buying a totaled off chevy 1/2 ton and swapping in the 350 vortec? thanks again

Are you that hellbent on swapping engines? Not trying to be a dick, but the benefits of keeping a 4.0 or stroker in are huge. There's a lot less headache involved. Like weazle said, one day of work, all bolt up, no wiring swaps, etc. I see what you're getting at as far as power goes. But the gains will be minimal over the hassle. If you're looking for a cheaper method of low end grunt, I would suggest gears. Hell, even going to a Rubi t-case with 4:1 low range would be a lot cheaper and easier.

There are a million recipes for stroker soup. Search here and at http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/ . Also search up a guy named Dino. He does the more famous write ups on this and has some proven recipies.. I baised mine off his low budget.

What year is your current 4.0? Find from your junk yard or CL, trader, paper or whatever and find a 4.2L AMC /Jeep engine.. Basically the CJ I6.. Also in gremlins, Eagles, 80's mail trucks!! You want the rods and crank.. Use the rest of your 4.0. There are some slight machine work that needs to be done, or not.... I got my donor 4.2 for $50 from CL. Guy doing a V8 swap on his CJ.. Turned the crank and shotpeened the rods for another $80. Im into a 4.6 rebuild for pocket change more for teh 4.6. Most of the chages I had to do anyway. Deals are out there.. 2nd motor i Got a 95 complete but dissasembled 4.0 for free and the J/y was having their half off sale and I found a CJ.. Pulled the crank and got it for $39.. Bearings looked nice. $20 worth of Cosmoline and it will wait for me ;)

Are you that hellbent on swapping engines? Not trying to be a dick, but the benefits of keeping a 4.0 or stroker in are huge. There's a lot less headache involved. Like weazle said, one day of work, all bolt up, no wiring swaps, etc. I see what you're getting at as far as power goes. But the gains will be minimal over the hassle. If you're looking for a cheaper method of low end grunt, I would suggest gears. Hell, even going to a Rubi t-case with 4:1 low range would be a lot cheaper and easier.

a guy i kno from the local 4x4 club is good with electronics and would build me a plug n play harness for cheap. I think swapping engines would be less work then having to machine a 4.0. But i dont know maybe i'll worry about swappin engines after i swap axles and re gear. Thanks for the advice

T case gears is a pretty good idea. Is there a gear kit i can buy to put into my 231???? I got to much money into my t case to have to get a different one and not use mine

Swapping an engine into a vehicle that was never meant to have it will never come out money ahead. Seriously, ask anyone who's swappen a V8 into their XJ, they easily spent more than you will ever spend building a stroker.

Search NAXJA, there is a lot of info on stroker builds, V8 swaps, etc.
a guy i kno from the local 4x4 club is good with electronics and would build me a plug n play harness for cheap. I think swapping engines would be less work then having to machine a 4.0. But i dont know maybe i'll worry about swappin engines after i swap axles and re gear. Thanks for the advice
Building a stroker is just a rebuild with boring out the cylinders. Easy.
T case gears is a pretty good idea. Is there a gear kit i can buy to put into my 231???? I got to much money into my t case to have to get a different one and not use mine
There are plenty of options to beef/build the 231. Teralow for one. Search around the mod tech forums, there's a lot of info on this as well.

Te tech forums here are a wealth of information, you just gotta work your Google-fu...:)

Ive thought about doing this in my one tone XJ. The only motivation to do it is that the 4.0 in it currently has 279000 mi, and because I have a 4.3 out of a 93 s10 with 84000 original miles that has a stroker kit and the advance adapter kit. that would be the only time it might be worth throwing it in an Xj. I love my 4.0s though.

Back