• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newb question, NOT wasting three hours puring over posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrookedCrow

NAXJA Forum User
I want to lift my jeep xj, its a 96 with the part time/full time (242-?) transfer, sport model, 4.0, 4 door. totally stock as of Dec. 6th 2010.

What other additional components would i need to purchase for this lift kit to work properly/safely.

I know there's more to it than what they give you here.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/long-arm-s...029662.jcwx?filterid=c11298d1163y1996f5z200j1

Will this require longer control arms? tie rod ends? steering stabilizers? etc? never done a lift, gonna have it pro installed, but wanna show up w/ allllll the parts.

If you don't want to waste your time searching for noob information, why should we waste our time responding to your noob question?

Get off JCWhitney and go to Rough Country's site. It'll probably give you much more info on the kit and what else you might need. Kudos for going long-arms right off the bat, but do you really need to lift it that high? What tires are you running? How high do you even wanna go? 3" and 32's is fine for street duty.

Gotta give us more info on what you want, we can't read your mind. The higher you go, the more expensive it's gonna be. If you just want it for the looks and don't wanna spend lots of dough, I'd stay 3" or lower.

First, I would opt for a full leaf pack instead of an add-a-leaf.

Second, if you plan on going higher than ~3-3.5" then you'll have to address the output of the transfer case, either by getting a t-case drop or converting to a fixed yoke and CV driveshaft)

Third, as sunburned said, the higher you go the more expensive it gets.

With the information that sunburned asked so very nicely we can give you some more information on what you are looking for.

^ what he said about leafs and T-case, but with the additional note that with a long arm kit you won't be able to do a T-case drop, so you'll have to do some kind of actual slip yoke eliminator. The RC SYE kit is for 231, so you'll need to look elsewhere for options. There are many, depending on whether you are more rich than handy or vice versa. Search Google, and take a look at this: http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm

Also, you're probably going to want to do some steering upgrades.

If all you want to do is mall crawl, then you can ignore all 3 of these. We will take care of them when one of us buys it from you in 2 years for half of what you put into it.

If you can't be patient enough to read for a few hours (whether on here or elsewhere) before you start spending and modding, then you are going to have a much harder time on the trails. It's not just about throwing on some steel and big tires, you have to take it slow and think a lot.

EDIT: Well, unless you are running Jeepspeed.

Last edited:
NOT wasting three hours puring over posts.
======================================
Right! Your not wasting your time by going over old post, your LEARING. BIG dif. The back post are a world full of good info. Gold stuff that I WISH I could have gotten to when I first picked up a wrench. (no net then) Give thanks to them that came before you and were willing to share that info. Now bow and kiss my ring. :)

Last edited:
NOT wasting three hours puring over posts.
======================================
Right! Your not wasting your time by going over old post, your LEARING. BIG dif. The back post are a world full of good info. Gold stuff that I WISH I could have gotten to when I first picked up a wrench. (no net then) Give thanks to them that came before you and were willing to share that info. Now bow and kiss my ring. :)

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeowwww......

Ignore everyone else. They don't have a clue....

Buy the JC whitney one or anything else you can find cheaper.

Add a leafs are ALWAYS better, except for lift blocks. Lift blocks are better.

If you can, buy the kit without the springs. The stock ones will work just fine. If the XJ doesn't sit level you can add some up-country spacers for almost nothing.

SYE's are expensive band-aids. A xfer case drop is easy to make with just washers and longer bolts and works just as well.

You may or may not have steering issues. You'll find out after the lift. But it won't be hard/expensive to correct until you get like 8" of lift or more.

What kind of rear end do you have? If your lucky you have a 35 w/antilock brakes. Those things are pretty beefy stock. But if you really want to wheel it, get some chrome-moly axles and an ARB locker. That would be about the sweetest set-up money can buy right there.

And disc brakes can be found in the junk yard for next to nothing.

Make sure you tell the guys installing it that you want all the old parts back. You can use control arms and leafpacks for trail spares.

Here's the best part about JCW's lift kit:

"To improve pride and articulation."

"Make your Jeep Cherokee the Extreme Machine!"

I'd get it just for that.......

Hope that helps.

And, with that.... this thread is done.

CrookedCrow, you're new here, and you do admit that.....this site has a wealth of info, and there's no reason to not look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back