• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

smoking through the throttle body

vigman

NAXJA Forum User
I stopped for gas yesterday and the jeep wouldn't start back up (it would turn over but wouldn't fire.) I lifted the hood and noticed smoke coming out of the aircleaner box, when I opened that up the smoke poured out (light grey to white and I didn't notice the smell) I disconnected the aircleaner from the throttle body and opened it to wot and the smoke kept coming out really thick for a while, after the smoke dissipated the jeep still wouldn't start. I have a 93 sport 4.0 when I depress the valve on the fuel rail it shoots gas over the passenger side fender so I assume the pressure is good, and the oil is good and looks normal.

Possibly a blown head gasket/cracked cylinder head,that might have been steam you saw.

Last edited:
Check your oil for coolant.

Rent a tester (you have to purchase the chemical) and test your coolant for combustion gases.

Kind of odd, no signs of trouble and just won't restart.

You could try the "flood clear" procedure--hold the accelerator pedal to the floor, then try and start the engine--holding the pedal to the floor tells the PCM to cut off fuel to the cylinders.

Did you check for spark?

did it start after letting it sit for a lil bit?

completely different motors, but i had a 2.5 that after being ran hard for a bit would not start. appeared as tho the fuel was just vaporizing in the TB. after letting the jeep sit and cool off for a bit, fired up and ran fine... :dunno:

I've seen them melt from poor lubrication to the distributor shaft in other makes. Check to make sure the shaft moves freely, as if there is resistance, it will generate heat and cook the next one again.

IMG_20101205_111442.jpg

Only the top part melted.

Back