• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

few issues (heater and right headlamp)

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
ok, yes i looked (my searching skills do bring the suck tho) and was not able to find the specific issues i am having.

1: heater works well, but not when i am in the throttle. from 0-25% throttle the heat blows the same, once i apply more throttle, the heat gradually loses umph as more throttle is applied, once i let off, or ease off throttle, heat comes back full force.

coolant is good, all sitches work, and tstat was replaced about 2 weeks ago.

2: my damn passenger headlight. sometimes it turns on. sometimes i have to hit my lights a few times to get it to come on. if lights are on and then i start the jeep, the passenger light will turn off...

bad wiring?

the auto kill delay relay or whatever shorted itself out (horrible noises i tell you) and i just pulled fuse for the delay so lights are either on or off. but this passenger light is just giving me a fit. driver light works flawless

Moving to OEM Tech.

Ok, you should always start a thread with the BASICS--year/engine/etc.

As for heat issues with throttle--throttle position effects engine vacuum, vacuum operates HVAC blend/direction doors in the air box. Check you vacuum reservoir and the vacuum lines. Reservoir is behind the front bumper (stock position) on the passenger's side. The vacuum hardline likes to break in the area around the battery.

Check your connectors on the back of the lamps. Clean the contacts and use a little dielectric grease. Renew the grounds for the lamps.

Good luck.

In addition to above, especially if this is a pre-97 Jeep (year does make a difference even in this simple question), check the wiring harness connector that leads to the front harness. It's just forward of the air cleaner, at the front bulkhead. This connector on pre-97's is a common site for corrosion, and poor contact. I've even had pins rot right off of this connector and have to be bypassed. Take it apart, clean it if necessary, and lube it up nicely even if it turns out not to be the source of the problem.

I also had both headlight connectors rot away on my 99, long before any other rust or corrosion problems occurred. Very cheap hardware here, and again, even if it isn't the source of the problem it's worth cleaning and lubing them, or even pre-emptively replacing them.

its a 90 wagoneer with converted XJ front clip. when i put the XJ clup on and did the headlamp swap i checked all the contacts and everyhting looked good, rust free and clean :dunno:

checked the vac. ball at first and didnt see any damage or any damage to the hoses right around it, ill be sure to check the hoses by the battery.

and for the info:
1990 wagoneer 4.0 aw4 242

If the hose doesn't reveal anything, check the vacuum bottle again for stressed mounting feet. When they break off, or start to break off, they can make a hard-to-see crack or hole.

As for the headlights, don't forget the obvious: the headlight itself could be bad.

well the headlights are an HID swap (in H4 housings i know i know) but they work fine as long as they are getting juice.
i put a light on the wires. upon turningthe lights on, the headlight connector only gets power 70-80% of the time... the other % requires hitting the lights again.....

ill check the vac. ball and hoses better tomorrow

Back