• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan clutch engaging or not?

nrwphoto

NAXJA Forum User
Alright 2 yrs ago I replaced my radiator along with all cooling components. Since then I have replaced the fan clutch 2 additional times. Even when it is 115 outside and the engine is running at 235 I don't hear the fan clutch kicking in. I have had a couple of Chevy blazers that when the fan clutch locked up you could hear the fan roaring. Not so with this 4.0 XJ. I tried going with a heavy duty clutch from both Autozone and Checker, but neither would fit on the stock fan. The clutch diameter was larger than the inner diameter of the fan causing it to rest against the blades about 1/4" from bolting up tight. Are all of your fans quiet as well or do you think I should try another clutch and or fan. I was thinking about an electric conv. but think I want to stay away from the grief at this time. Thanks

NAPA part 272310 is the one ya want, IIRC. I have the number in may wallet, for when customers come in to work for overheating issues related to the fan. My wallet is not nearby, though.

Thanks for the info. Do you work at Napa or a Shop? If so any recommendations on a good radiator for hot climate.... I upgraded to a brass/copper 3 core and it doesn't cool as well as the factory alum./plastic 1 core that broke open on me.

I have worked in shops, dealerships, owned my own auto repair business. Now I work at a nation-wide parts store. Nope, not NAPA.

2 or 3 core, that is a debate that will never end. Surface are vs flow, etc.... Many varying opinions.

Do you have the shrouds? They are important to. Allow air to flow otherwise its more of an egg beater.

272310 is the 97-98 ZJ HD fan clutch from NAPA. About $44, direct bolt in. DO NOT let NAPA sell you the ZJ MAX COOL fan clutch, it won't fit.

If you try and purchase from another vendor they will cross reference and give you a standard fan clutch.

Go to NAPA.

Alright I know I am digging this up a bit, just never got around to posting on here. I tried the NAPA fan clutch 272310, looked nice. Right diameter, nice beefy fins... but it was way to tall and I was not able to install it. Hypothetically if I did install it, about a 1/2" of the fins would have been in the radiator. So went back to stock fan clutch, and that has about 1/2"-3/4" of an inch clearance. Is it possible that my motor is sitting to far forward? (has new motor mounts so not that)

Or would it more likely be the radiators I am using. Currently using an Autozone sourced single core since the 3 cores treated me poorly. The single core is cooling better with the addition of a Hesco water pump, but still running hot, even in now 80 deg weather.

I'm about ready to say it's something in the motor... crack, bad head gasket... something. Oil and coolant still look clean and runs smooth though. Just hot and weak on power. :flamemad:

On the NAPA ZJ fan clutch you need to snap off the little radiator death knives on the face of the fan clutch. Just grab them securely with a crecent wrench, make sure the pivot point is at the base of the "knife" and bend 90deg. They will pop right off. I hit the rough spots with a roloc wheel to smooth em out. Fits like a charm after that.

Also check your exhaust manifold for cracks/leaks. I just replaced mine, and there was a crack all the way around where #4 runner met the manifold, couldn't have helped underhood temps any...

Back