• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-case swap

korn9613

NAXJA Forum User
i recently had to do a t-case swap on my xj. i did the swap only to find out that the input shaft on the new(used) one was bigger, meaning no go. i dropped it again and then split both cases and swapped the inputs. here is my question. the speedo cable on my jeep does not fit the style plug on this new t-case. is there any ideas on what to do here, i would like my speedo to work, right now its not hooked up obviously. im wondering if i should buy a new speedo cable meant for that t-case. any problems with doing that?

swap over the speedo sensor... as far as i know it should work.

Just buy a speedo sensor for your transfer case (the new one) and the year of your truck. It should be fine and they are cheap. By the way. If you do this again, I jigged mine up on a chopsaw measured about 10 times and cut the input shaft off to the right length then deburred the splines with a file. I was switching 242 to 231 and there was no way I was paying the $$ for a new shaft! Has seen 25,000 miles and plenty of wheeling since. If your input shaft is too short... oh well.

it wasnt a matter of the shaft being too long or short, one input was 28 spline, the other was 31 spline i believe, different diameters. stick a 28 spline output into a 31 spline input, and it doesnt work. as faras what year and cases, not sure. my jeep is an 89 with the 242 case. the case i bought was out of a grand cherokee i believe, newer. this was awhile ago so im having a hard time remembering what the deal was. i think its the stock trans, not sure on that though. sorry for lack of info.

it wasnt a matter of the shaft being too long or short, one input was 28 spline, the other was 31 spline i believe, different diameters. stick a 28 spline output into a 31 spline input, and it doesnt work. as faras what year and cases, not sure. my jeep is an 89 with the 242 case. the case i bought was out of a grand cherokee i believe, newer. this was awhile ago so im having a hard time remembering what the deal was. i think its the stock trans, not sure on that though. sorry for lack of info.

Spline counts are 21 or 23... Yes that is an altogether different issue. Be thankful you had another case to get the shaft from. I would have had to pay $160 since I was switching cases. The speed sensor should work though.

Can anyone tell me if the t-case off of 93 xj will fit a 95 xj? Both have the 5.2's. The 95 also has limited slip rear end if that makes a difference (i dont' think it does)

Can anyone tell me if the t-case off of 93 xj will fit a 95 xj? Both have the 5.2's. The 95 also has limited slip rear end if that makes a difference (i dont' think it does)

XJ's never came with 5.2's, I believe you have a Grand Cherokee ZJ.

Back