• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ temporary lost oil pressure, ideas on what happened?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1997 XJ, 4.0 AW4 with 185k miles. Ironic that earlier today I commented on what great oil pressure it has.

So tonight I was reversing into my driveway in 4x4 high. There was a big mound of snow and it took a couple tries. On the last try I turned back around to view my gauge cluster where I say the red "check gauges" light and saw my oil pressure was registering around the 5 mark. About 2 or 3 seconds later the oil pressure rose back up to 35psi while idling.

I drove it back around the block and it has about 40-45psi while driving and reversed again in the driveway with no drop in oil pressure.

Any idea on what happened or why this occurred???

Failing sender comes to mind, assuming proper oil level, etc... No odd engine noises?

Try a mechanical gauge to be sure,

Things to try....

**Clean the connector to the oil pressure sending unit with a spray of electrical contact cleaner.

**Replace the sending unit. They are a common fail. I buy this part directly from Jeep for best reliability/accuracy/mating with your factory gauge. Worth the extra $20.

Possibly a "No Bus" condition since the CEL came on.

Back