• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

would you buy a mint 98 classic with 1500?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Would you buy a mint 98 Classic for 1500? It has leather seats, overhead console, tow package, 8.25 rear, some sort of heavy duty aftermarket bumper, good tires 80 percent or better.

Only thing is the motor is blown. I would be buying it to part out. Worth it or not?

Last edited:
how was the motor blown? its pretty hard to blow a 4.0 up... so more than likely it was beat on.. hard. you can get a good runner for 1500 round here, i wouldnt pay moe than a grand for anything thats blown up unless it has proven good aftermarket parts on it, or i needed a mint body and had a mint running gear to swap.

Not without a good going over--unibody, etc.

What are good used 4.0 engines going for in your area? Can you do the labor yourself? After factoring in those things then you can decide if it is a good deal.

I think a mint body and interior is worth the $1500. Motors are plentiful and cheap. In my area, it's rust that kills XJ's. I'd buy it.

i just dropped 1500 on a mint 00 with a blown motor, took a bit to swap the new engine in but was worth it (somewhat)

An clean average condition Cherokee is worth as much as $5000 around here. It would be a shame to part out a clean Cherokee instead of installing a new motor.

An clean average condition Cherokee is worth as much as $5000 around here. It would be a shame to part out a clean Cherokee instead of installing a new motor.

x2

I'd see if I could go lower, but if you are mechanically inclined / able to recruit somebody who is, that sounds like a really nice candidate for a stroker motor.

Well I could use the roof rack, rear end, tires and wheels, overhead console, steering wheel, aux fan, trailer hitch and a few small other misc parts from it. Just not sure if I'd be able to recover my 1500 with those parts missing.

Shoot, I've got a 98 parts Jeep with a great motor that a guy could hear run. Unfortunately the PO decided to drive it into a curb and knock the front axle out from under it.

That's about what Im going to be looking for come spring. Im wanting a 00 or 01 Limited but bad trans or blowed moter is it. If I can't find it then I'll be buying one ready to roll.

I was gonna say... WE GET IT YOU WANT A 2000 OR 01 LIMITED!

Back