• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering too tight! please help.

DrShaggford

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought the GF her own XJ a few months ago and the steering seems to be ridiculously tight. It's a '98 4.0 auto, it does have a police package(might this have something to do with it?) I know it sits an inch or two higher than most stock XJ's, has all the skid plates and what not and probably some other upgrades I don'tknow about yet. Anyways...the steering wheel is very tight and makes everyday driving an effort. I would liken it to a mid '90's Corvette with the steering stiffness turned almost all the way down(takes two hands to turn a corner). Is there anything I can do to loosen it up a bit? I was thinking about putting the steering box from my '94 into the '98 and putting a durango box in my '94...do you think this might help or is it a waste of time?

What you describe sounds like a defective PS pump or it is low on fluid.

I have checked the fluid and it is topped off. But come to think of it it does whine like it's low on fluid sometimes. Is there a procedure I can use to physically test the pump or should I just swap it out?

Just fill the system, then with the engine running move the wheel SLOWLY back and forth adding more fluid as necessary. If you rush it the fluid will become aerated/foamy and then it will take a long time to get all the air out.

Reminds me of when I was trying to bleed my freinds brakes and he was stomping on the damn pedal like he was squishing roaches or something. Plus the bleeder screw was open so I ended up having to flush the entire system.

This is a pretty rare complaint with XJs. Usually people complain the steering is overboosted and loose, although that is moreso with early 90s than with 97+ (I can navigate a parking lot in my '92 with my pinky). But still, that makes me wonder if the PS pump is doing its job. You could try running without the serpentine belt for a few minutes (engine cold when you start), and see if the steering feels any different. If not, then the PS system is not working properly.

I would try to isolate the problem before swapping parts. If the PS system isn't working right, it could be low on fluid, leaking, or clogged. Usually the pump makes a groaning noise when low on fluid or if theres a lot of air in the system. You didn't mention if you hear any noises, or if you checked the fluid. Just for fun, you could try bleeding the PS system by making sure the pump reservoir is full, and with the cap off turning the wheels back and forth just shy of full lock 20-30 times (w/ engine running).

There is also an adjustment screw on the steering box that people mess with sometimes when their gearbox is worn. It can be used to tighten up the gearbox, but this is regarded as a temporary fix at best, and can lead to gearbox failure. And besides, this would affect steering slop, not really the steering effort. Maybe if it was tightened way too much it would have this effect, not sure. It's not something I would want to mess with personally; I would rather swap the box.

One other thing you could check is the suspension/steering linkages, to make sure there is nothing binding or overly tight. But if that was your issue I think you'd also experience grinding, popping, and/or alternating tightness/looseness as you turned the wheel.

If everything checks out with the PS pump and lines, then it must be the box. I don't know about police packages, but I would kind of doubt there was a different box used. If you can find a part # casting you could verify if its the same pump used on other XJs. But swapping your '94 box or the durango box should fix the issue.

Just fill the system, then with the engine running move the wheel SLOWLY back and forth adding more fluid as necessary. If you rush it the fluid will become aerated/foamy and then it will take a long time to get all the air out.

I would recommend that you raise the front axle and work the steering back and forth slowly with the engine off at first, otherwise the dry start on the new pump could damage it.

There are very good step by step instrcutions from AGR's website.

towards the bottom.

http://www.agrperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/GearboxInstructions.pdf

and while we've all jumped onto the power steering as the culprit be sure to check the balljoints and rod ends for damage/corrosion/dryness. It could just have some really nasty steering linkages that are causing too much effort.

I always put some cardboard under the front tires when cycling the steering. Prevents flat spots on the tires...

Also, if that is a police special and not just an up country, you have 10" rear brakes. Look for finned drums.

-Lift front end off ground and do some testing.-
Regrets if PS is changed and PS not the problem.
Grease it while up. (then retest!)
Check all of front end while up.

Good Luck,
Orange

Robs92XJ...You must have missed one of my other posts. I did check fluid level and it was just a touch low so I topped it off(it was still in the proper range just towards the bottom of it) And it does whine from time to time like it's low or almost out of fluid. I recently checked the the TREs and all were good but put a pump or two of grease in them anyway since I was under there. I have yet to check the ball joints or steering linkage. And yes it is for sure a police package as I saw the Title and it was titled to "Du Page County Sheriff's Dept." and it does have the 10" drums with fins...I can vouch for this because I have replaced everything in the rear brakes except the wheel cylinders. Another thing I forgot to mention is that the wheel will randomly 'loosen up' mid turn and sometimes cause me to overturn a bit. The PS hoses look fine no cracks and the hoses aren't wet like the get right before they take a crap.

Robs92XJ...You must have missed one of my other posts. I did check fluid level and it was just a touch low so I topped it off(it was still in the proper range just towards the bottom of it) And it does whine from time to time like it's low or almost out of fluid. I recently checked the the TREs and all were good but put a pump or two of grease in them anyway since I was under there. I have yet to check the ball joints or steering linkage. And yes it is for sure a police package as I saw the Title and it was titled to "Du Page County Sheriff's Dept." and it does have the 10" drums with fins...I can vouch for this because I have replaced everything in the rear brakes except the wheel cylinders. Another thing I forgot to mention is that the wheel will randomly 'loosen up' mid turn and sometimes cause me to overturn a bit. The PS hoses look fine no cracks and the hoses aren't wet like the get right before they take a crap.

since it "loosens up" randomly I'd put my money on a pump problem or air in the system. Bleed it using those AGR instructions I linked and see how it acts.

Same thing happened on my 00.Jacked up the front, separated both tie rod ends and SS, both knuckles moved freely, no play, SS moved with no binding, Steering wheel still needed too much effort to turn with just the drag link hanging. So I went after the box, was going to replace it then figured I'd check the adjuster; it was way too tight. I kept backing off of it in half turns till it felt good driving. I don't know why it was so tight, there is no excessive play or anything and it looks like a factory box. So then what did I do; I bought a 01 wj 4.7 p/s pump for it anyways! Upgradde Two D's for the Double Dose,,,, From the movie idiocricy, sorry.

I just bought a 99 XJ with the police package. Mine sadly does not have the upcountry suspension... but anyway, the steering on this 99 is WAY tighter than the steering on my 97 that I just sold...

Back