• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj fuel pump into Zj

go1lum

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I have a 98 Xj sport 4.0/AW4/NP242 that is sitting on blocks getting parts pulled. I am wondering if the fuel pump will swap into a 97 ZJ 4.0. This would save the girl a few clams if it is possible.

A quick check on the parts store sites says the pump itself is the same, but that the assemblies are different. Maybe pull both and check them?

should work iirc, the fuel gauge may act screwy afterwards (I don't know if they are the same resistance range.)

If you pull them both and they look the same, they should work. Plan on buying a new rubber gasket for the fuel sender assembly and possibly the big-ass plastic nut part that holds the assembly in, I couldn't get mine off without cutting through it at one side, it was badly stuck to the gasket.

It should work just fine the oem pump i pulled out of my 98 said ZJ on the sending unit and i put in 99 Xj pump and they were exactly the same minus the sending uint. Now my gas gauge reads empty with 6 gallons left in the tank.

Back