• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Self-tapping or drill and tap for rock sliders

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have TNTs frame stiffeners on, as well as Rock Krawler's 3-link in the front. When I made these mods my JCR rock sliders did not work, so I had to take them off.

I'd still like to use the sliders. Changes that will need to occur include:

1. Moving the foward mount back so it will clear the 3-link brackets
2. moving the pinch seam mount inwards 3/16" to account for the thickness of the frame stiffeners.

Currently, the sliders are cut up, with the foward mount cut off as well as the pinch seam mount.

My question, is that I would like to basically bolt the legs back up to the frame rail to position things to get it ready for welding back together by the shop, as I can't weld.

When mounting, should I use self-tapping screws into the 3/16" stiffeners (per original JCR mounting instructions), or is 3/16" enough bite to drill and tap and use a regular bolt?

I think 3/16" plus the original unibody rail should be enough that you can drill and tap. At this point, why not just weld the sliders straight to the stiffeners, the bolt to the pinch seam?

I think 3/16" plus the original unibody rail should be enough that you can drill and tap. At this point, why not just weld the sliders straight to the stiffeners, the bolt to the pinch seam?

That is my plan, but I wanted to test fitment on everything since each slider is in 3 different pieces, and I will have to take it to a shop to weld. I was thinking I would mount the forward arm and pinch seam to the jeep, so that the only thing they have to fit would be the actual slider and rear mount. Everything else would be "fixed".

I guess with that little extra tidbit of info, it really doesn't matter what I do since it will all be welded eventually. I suppose I answered my own question. Thanks anyways!

Back