• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

R and P compatability

ieatmud

NAXJA Forum User
First off id just like to say i love this site. Ive learnd so much ive stopped beating my wife with dry noodles. Anyways I got a free d30 hp with vac disco with 4 11s and im hoping the r and p is interchangable with my non disco hp housing. The disco is from a 91. The non disco is a 94. Any help would be fantabulus.

they are compatible. You will have to reset the gears obviously but they will fit fine as long as you also transfer the carrier (since it is different for 3.55 down vs 3.73 up gears.) The easier way to handle this would be to get a seal and block-off kit, add the extra seal in the vac disco housing, block off plate over the vac disco mount, and then put the axle shafts from the 94 axle into it.

What he said. Don't move the gear set (you'll have to move the pinion as well if you do this.)

Brakes will swap over, that is no big deal (in fact taking them off is part of the job of swapping the axle housings, just leave your calipers hanging from the frame and remove the rotors from the axle.) Balljoints, that kinda sucks... if you wanted to, you could press them back out and install them in the disco axle :gee:

It is too bad these aren't dana 44s we are talking about, then you could simply unbolt the knuckles and swap it all.

Sorry for babling but I was also led to believe that the 94 housing with ABS had bigger axles. True or does the wife get a noodle beating?

If it had ABS, that is in fact correct. When you swap the shafts you will gain that benefit - replace the U-joints with Spicer 5-760X ones and it'll be even better (they are stronger than the stock 5-297X joints.)

You should be able to tell the difference by measuring the diameter of the U-joint caps. The 91 vac disconnect stock joints will have caps ~27mm in diameter while the 94 non disconnect ABS joints will be ~30mm in diameter.

Sorry for babling but I was also led to believe that the 94 housing with ABS had bigger axles. True or does the wife get a noodle beating?

They dont have bigger axles,the axles just use the larger u-joints.

Back