• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ power mirrors on 93 w/power mirrors

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to adapt the power/heated mirrors from a 97+ to a 93 that already has power mirrors?

I know that the mirrors can interchange, just curious if I can retain the power function w/the mirror swap and possibly hook up the heated part as well.

The power function is fine, there are 4 wires on the 97+ mirrors for the motors and only 3 on the 96- ones. Both have 2 motors inside them, the 96- just have one side of each motor connected to a single terminal, so you just have to use a 12 volt battery to map out the 97+ mirror pinout and then use a voltmeter to map out the signals the switch sends to the 3 wires, then wire it up properly. Somewhere around here I posted the color codes, wish I could find it.

The heated part is more difficult since they never did heated mirrors on the 96- models. If yours has a rear window defogger already you will be ahead, I believe you connect the mirrors from ground to the black wire with a red stripe on the back of the defogger switch but I'm not sure. Might want to use a relay to keep from burning the switch out, check your FSM for circuit diagrams. You'll need to run an extra wire to each door since heated mirrors weren't an option on 96-.

This is one of the many things I've looked into, since I have 97+ heated power mirrors on my 96 (and will have them soon on the 91, and on the 98 since it's a plug-in install on that) but have yet to get around to doing.

Stein, you da man! even tho that went right over my head :p. I did the swap years ago on my '92 and I have yet to hook up anything. I simply popped the mirror into place & never looked back. Wish I could have done the electrical (that's my achilles tendon) - but even with your explanation I still wouldn't mess with it.

I'm looking at trying to hook up the 97+ (non heated) to our 84 (non power). I don't suppose anyone has some extra plugs from the doors so I don't have to hack the wiring off of the mirrors ? I just need the pigtails, I'll run my own wire to another switch actually.

Did I read that right that the 96- Jeeps use the same plug for the mirror, so I could actually use one of those as well ?

Thanks
Bill

I cut my manual mirrors off with a hacksaw like 3 days ago. I guess I should put some more on. I have a couple of the newer model mirrors in the shop.

I'm looking at trying to hook up the 97+ (non heated) to our 84 (non power). I don't suppose anyone has some extra plugs from the doors so I don't have to hack the wiring off of the mirrors ? I just need the pigtails, I'll run my own wire to another switch actually.

Did I read that right that the 96- Jeeps use the same plug for the mirror, so I could actually use one of those as well ?

Thanks
Bill
same effective signaling but different connectors. You need 97+ connectors, I would hit the junkyard. Would offer to pull some for you but I rarely have time to hit the yard these days.

Stein, you da man! even tho that went right over my head :p. I did the swap years ago on my '92 and I have yet to hook up anything. I simply popped the mirror into place & never looked back. Wish I could have done the electrical (that's my achilles tendon) - but even with your explanation I still wouldn't mess with it.
I try... hell, if I make it to nacfest next year remind me to bring some wiring supplies and the fsm collection and I can probably rig it up. Shouldn't take too long, been meaning to do it on mine for a while but never got around to it.

Data for 96-down 97-up mirror wiring and pinouts etc: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=941273

I would hit the junkyard. Would offer to pull some for you but I rarely have time to hit the yard these days.

I keep meaning to, but they have 2 yards locally, one with XJs and one without, the one with is open M-F 8-5 only ... 6" of snow this weekend isn't going to make it any more fun either.

I need some other bits though and have only a partially booked day Wed, maybe I can make it over there then and get some goodies.

Back