• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hard to install cruise control on a 99 XJ?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to buy a 99 XJ, police package. It does not have cruise control. How difficult would this be to install?

In theory... You will need to add the switches (99 up), change the clockspring and add the servo with it's vacuum line. I am in process of attempting this on my 98. Be advised that the switches are different. 96 down, 97 and 98, 99 up are the combinations. Leave it to Chryco to complicate it. The PCMs are the same inside of each year with the exception of the emission mapping. So you should not have to change the PCM.

Exactly how o-gauge-steamer said... easy. You need cruise switches with the part number ending in AD, the 97-98 ones look exactly the same but end in AB or AC. First time I have ever seen a part number be the same numerically with different alphabetic revision code and not be cross compatible.

Make sure you have the steering wheel centered when you install the new clockspring, and recenter the clockspring as per the FSM instructions before installing it, or you will be buying a new one shortly.

That's more complicated... I forget which switches were used when, haven't really come up with a full table that tells for sure yet. On a 99 it doesn't matter though - all 99 XJs use the 4671 336 brake light switch.

I believe on the RENIX years and possibly some OBD I years (and/or 95-96) the switch used depended on what features were installed - AT vs MT, cruise vs no cruise, etc. I have not verified this yet. Some years even had a vacuum line leading to the switch for cruise.

They actually have or had a factory kit to add the option, cost was $160 or so including new steering wheel face.

97 up brake light switdhes all the same. 6 connections, 2 of which are series with the cc servo signal. Functionally the same as the cancel.

Try getting a factory kit for less than $450.00 these days. The JY is your best bet.

I still can't get mine to work. Everything is OK, just doen't work...

Have you tested the parts in another XJ or ensured you don't have a vacuum leak?

I cannibalized the harness that ties the steering control switches together and under hood parts from my '97 and grabbed the switches themselves and clockspring parts off a '99 (thanks Ken) to add cruise to my '99. All in all took about 20min to complete the swap, works just like it used to on my '97.

The cruise on my 98 works, the buttons are just real stiff. Try pressing the on/off button as hard as you can for about a second or two, the green CRUISE indicator in the upper left corner of the instrument cluster should turn on.

Somewhere around here I posted the resistances for 95-96 and 97-98 switch panels, but I haven't gotten good info on the 99-01 switch resistances yet.

Back